"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, March 4, 2011

Songs better than "California Gurls" by Claudia


It's been cold in Orange County the last few weeks, so I started making a summer playlist. A lot of the songs ended up being California, which got me thinking about that one California song I can't stand. Katy Perry, what horror have you wrought? Undeniable? That's the best you could come up with?

Anyway, here is a list of songs that barely scratches the surface of the category of California songs.

1. I Heart California - Admiral Radley
Saw them at the Greek, opening for Band of Horses. This song just makes me laugh.

2. California Love - My American Heart
San Diego emo rockers covering the West Coast hip hop anthem. What's more California than that?

3. Caffeine & Gasoline - Elliot Randall and the Deadmen
This song reminds me of driving on I-10 through the desert around Palm Springs -- something I've done a few too many times probably. The band is from the San Francisco area.

4. Home - She and Him
My friend saw Zooey in the lobby at Fox in LA. Apparently she's just as adorable up close.

5. Just Like Zeus - Jenny and Johnny
They sound like sunshine, and they name check Silver Lake and Promises.

6. Home - Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes
Saw them at the Sunset Junction festival. Apparently the accident described in the spoken word portion of the song happened not far from where the stage was set up. Though maybe they say that to all their crowds.

7. California - Phantom Planet
All I knew about Orange County before I moved here was from watching "The OC." The sweeping coastal shot from the title sequence is not far from where I first lived, though.

8. U Should Know Better - Robyn and Snoop Dogg
THIS is how a white girl does a duet with Snoop Dogg. "LAPD knows better than to fuck with me." Why is this song not everywhere?

9. Santa Monica - Everclear
You don't realize how much you're going to miss palm trees until you live somewhere that doesn't have them. It's good to be back on the West Coast after a brief interlude in Georgia.

10. Woe - Say Anything
My feet are so black and blue... from attempting to wear heels to shows which all the girls do here.

11. Why You'd Want to Live Here - Death Cab for Cutie
Touche, Death Cab. But there's just something about it...

12. Free Fallin' - Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers
Mulholland, Venture, Reseda -- still hum the song when I come across some places here.

2 comments:

  1. Other suggestions:

    Rogue Wave - California
    The Decemberists - Los Angeles I'm Yours
    Denison Witmer - California Black and Blue
    Band of Horses - St. Augustine

    And of course, the man himself, Randy Newman - I Love L.A.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBOQiMxwk1o

    ReplyDelete
  2. From California - The New Amsterdams

    ReplyDelete