"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Saturday, March 26, 2011

Gym Mix by Smashley

One of the best and worst things to happen to me is the new surge of lifestyle coupon websites, such as Groupon and LivingSocial. While I pass over quite a few of the deals, I also talk myself into many of the others. The "worst" part is when I completely forget that I bought them. (I like to call that "being an adult.") One such was when I bought a $60 for 60 days at a gym in midtown in August and barely remembered to redeem it before it expired in January. I spent two months going as often as I could, trying to finally, after 25 years, make it a habit. I spent a lot of nights and weekends amongst old ladies and quietly sneaking glances at the bearded personal trainer who worked on M/W/F and unapologetically wore flannel with basketball shorts to work. Unfortunately, my 60 days ended yesterday and I now I have to search for another gym without losing momentum. So far I've lost around 13lbs(ish) and I feel like my body might finally be forgiving me for my mismanagement in college.

That said, as with most of my life, every workout needed  a soundtrack. In order to maintain focus and rhythm I wanted familiar music that I wouldn't have to shuffle through. As you can see below, that mostly involved music that I used to jam when I was in high school and/or could unapologetically sing along to (silently) on the elliptical. Here's a list of music that may or may not have made me knock my iPod off the machine while air drumming and was significantly better than listening to "Like a G6" through the gym's satellite radio network.

Listen to the whole mix here:



1) New Found Glory - "Never Sometimes"
Man, so many afternoons spent playing Tony Hawk on Playstation and listening to this album. This was about as punk rock as this band actually got.
2) Ted Leo and the Pharmacists -"Tell Balgury, Balgeary is Dead"
Fun fact: my old MySpace handle was "Inchigeela" thanks to the reference to the Irish town in this song. There are few songs that make me feel as infinite. 
3) Taylor Swift - "Sparks Fly"
I feel you judging me, internet, but there are so many smash songs on this album. She doesn't get enough credit for some really smart pop music. 
4) Manchester Orchestra - "Simple Math"
This song gives me butterflies, it's so brilliant. Andy Hull can do no wrong.
5) Nada Surf - "The Way You Wear Your Head"
Nada Surf isn't always resistantly "rocking," when it comes to being a gym mix, but there are several key songs like this one from some of the earlier albums, especially the sometimes forgotten (except "Popular") album High/Low.
6) The Summer Set - "Passenger Seat"
I listened to their appropriately titled "Love Like This" album for my romantic date with the treadmill on Valentine's Day.
7) Sparta - "RX Coup"
This was the first time I knocked my iPod off while air-drumming, getting a dirty look from an old lady in a crushed velvet jumpsuit on the bike next to me. Sorry for rocking.
8) The Maine - "Color"
This album actually grew on me more since revisiting it as a gym mix.
9) Brand New - "At the Bottom"
Too bad this is the only song I liked on this album. This song is killer.
10) Five Iron Frenzy - "Handbook for the Sellout"
I know I'm going to get a lot of flack about this mix from my mix partner Pat, but this here is a reminder that we BOTH grew up as ska kids and must wear our badge of courage as such.
11) Walk the Moon - "Anna Sun"
Keep an eye out on these dudes. This is an absolute SMASH.
12) The Hippos - "Pollution"
More ska, and the first album I listened to on my first day at the gym. This album is nearly flawless. 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE IT! NFG heck yes! I've been making these gym mixes that last like 25 minutes (so far I've posted one on my blog) because i have ADD when i'm listening to music at the gym so I find myself changing songs like every 2 minutes. So I decided to make theme mixes that last enough time for a run or a cycle on the elliptical haha.

    Totally downloading all these songs I'm missing!

    ReplyDelete