"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, March 7, 2011

13 Bands I Know & Admire - Darren Robinson (The Californian / Phantom Planet)

Howdy partner,

I took the time to make a list of 13 bands and artists whom I know and admire, so won't you take some time to read and listen? You will? Why thank you!

Here we go!

1) Blake Mills - "Hiroshima"

Let me get this off my chest right now- Blake Mills is, hands down and without any exaggeration whatsoever, the absolute best and most tasteful guitarist I have ever heard or seen in my entire life.

Period.

He started out in a band called "Simon Dawes", who were unfuckingbelievable as well - that band eventually decided to make changes, and Blake went on to do his own thing. Simon Dawes is now known as "Dawes", and they are exceptionally talented as well. Perhaps you've already heard them.

Blake is capable of any style of music. Seriously. One time we were sitting together at some party and I was trying to tell him about some lead country guitarist whose style I liked- I couldn't remember the guy's name though. As if he has some psychic power, Blake began to do a solo in the style of said guitarist. WTF mate?

Phantom Planet's producer, Tony Berg, who also works with Blake often, calls Blake an "alien". This kid is truly from another planet. And as if his guitar playing alone isn't enough to blow the hell ot of one's mind, he made a full length album that is one of the most brilliant records I've ever heard. It's called "Break Mirrors", which of course is a play on his full name- Blake Mills. The song I have chosen is from this record, and it is called "Hiroshima". Enjoy.

It's song #3 here:
http://www.myspace.com/breakmirrors/music


2) Miniature Tigers - "Dark Tower"

I had the honor of playing with this band in the beginning of 2009, literally a month after Phantom Planet went on hiatus. I had less than one day to answer a call from them about filling in on guitars for a bit. Before this, Charlie Brand and Rick Shaier were already friends of mine. Charlie originally went to see "Simon Dawes" in Arizona after I had mentioned their show in a Phantom Planet blog entry. Charlie befriended them, and eventually I met him through Taylor Goldsmith of Dawes (the lead singer). He and I became good friends, and the rest is history.
This song, "Dark Tower", is one of my favorites off their newest album, "FORTRESS". Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H77mv8R7ic&feature=related


3) Alvin Band - "Temple Pressure"

Alvin Band is comprised of one member- Rick Shaier. He is also the drummer from Miniature Tigers. This kid is a one-man mystery. He made this entire record, "Mantis Preying", in Charlie Brand's bathroom in Arizona. It sounds UNBELIEVABLE.  I have no idea how the hell he did all this on his own, with ONLY HIS VOICE. What the hell?! Another genius!
This video is awesome, and you can actually catch me in it very briefly if you pause it in the right spot- the part with the kids in the little pool. (I'm on the way right, making a crazy face.) The video was directed by Travis Schneider, who also worked with Phantom Planet a lot, filming us, etc. Check it out here:

http://vimeo.com/4481387


4) The Damn Sons - "Crawl of the Wild"

Speaking of Travis Schneider, he has his own band as well. They are called "The Damn Sons." Really cool band- Travis is a well-rounded dude. His filmwork is absolutely brilliant as shown above, and he's got the musicianship to match. His voice reminds me a little of the lead singer of "The Cold War Kids," though I may be alone on that one.  Great stuff.

Check out some of their music here:
http://www.myspace.com/thedamnsons

My favorite is "Crawl of the Wild".


5)  The Sweet Hurt - "Where Would You Go"

Ah, The Sweet Hurt. Wendy Wang is a very well-rounded musician. Don't let her cute looks fool you - she is a total bad ass when she wants to be. She plays bass for The Bird and the Bee, as well as other established bands and artists out there. I was lucky enough to be in the same band with her - "The Californian". She eventually left because she has so many projects to work on, but she's always there for us if we need her! As a matter of fact, she'll be at an upcoming gig we have to sing some bacground vocals. She's a total sweet heart and has the voice of an angel. Watch her live performance of "Where Would You Go" and judge for yourselves. I can't say enough good things about her!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu2ktiNT0kU


6) Kinch - "Once, I Was a Mainsail"

My current band, "The Californian", was asked by these gentlemen to do a few shows with them for a residency they were doing. I originally met them while out with Miniature Tigers back in 2009. I didn't even know they were a band until I saw them at SXSW and had my mind handed to me on a platter! These dudes absolutely KILL IT live. This is my current favorite song of theirs - it's a live video from Silverlake Lounge from not too long ago. Perhaps not the best quality, but I don't have an MP3 of this yet. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce7taPPn6fU


7) The Californian - "Nana"

Okay, call me a douche for putting the band I am in on this list. That's fine. But it all makes sense in the grand scheme of things. I met singer / songwriter, John Graney, while on tour with Miniature Tigers. He was playing guitar for another band at the time, and we were opening for them. He and I got to talking and realized we had a lot of mutual friends- we almost instantly had a brotherly connection and the rest is history. He asked me to be a part of his project, "The Californian". I was hesitant at first, simply because of the name. Some of you know my old band Phantom Planet had that damn song, "California". I call it a damn song simply because, well, I'm sick and tired of hearing it!  I don't think it's a bad song at all- just don't ever want to hear or play it ever again. How ironic is it that the band I was asked to join was called The Californian? But God damn, this John Graney character can write a song. In truth though, he won me over with his gourmet cooking skills - he is known to cook for his good friends quite often, which is such a treat. He's like the Blake Mills of cooking! Best ever!

You can listen to our EP in full for free at:

http://www.whoisthecalifornian.com

And look out for us at SXSW and on tour as main support for "She Wants Revenge" in late March!


8) The Brobecks - "Goodnight Socialite"

Dallon Weekes is a true gentlemen. He is the lead singer and songwriter for "The Brobecks". I met him years ago at the Dragonfly in Hollywood, after hearing he was a big fan of Phantom Planet and had mutual friends. I went to the show blindly- having absolutely no idea what they sounded like. I was taken aback by Dallon's voice and stage presence - the dude can sing like a motherfucker! We became friends and the rest is history. He ended up opening for Phantom Planet a few times as a result, which was a great fit.

Not too long ago I recommended Dallon to John Jannick at Fueled By Ramen,  and though I can't take full credit for it, I believe I was the catalyst for getting him involved in his new project - Panic at the Disco. He is their bassist now, and seems to be a perfect fit.

Here's a song from their EP "Vaudvillians" called "Goodnight Socialite."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUN0AfKm4sQ


9) The Breakups - "Sentimentalitis"

Jake Gideon is the lead singer, lead guitarist and songwriter for The Breakups. He's also now the permanent bass player for The Californian. Very talented guy indeed. Don't miss them live if you get a chance. You won't be disappointed. Check out my favorite song of theirs, called "Sentimentalitis" here, and listen to that guitar solo! I love it!

http://buzzbands.la/2009/10/29/ears-wide-open-the-breakups-wwait-think-fast/


10) The Mid Cities - "So Polite of You"

This is a fairly new project that Jonathan Price is fronting. He is best known for being the bassist / guitarist / keys in the "Henry Clay People" as well as guitarist  / keytboardist for The Californian. Most of The Californian are in The Mid Cities, except me - they have enough guitars! I'm a big fan though and I'm honored to present their new blog here, with demos, pictures, and witty commentary. Enjoy!

http://themidcities.tumblr.com/


11) Stamps - "Heartache"

Here's a band fronted by Bob Morris, formerly of "The Hush Sound." He and I met and became good friends while on tour together in 2008, opening for Panic at the Disco. After both of our bands went on hiatus, Bob formed "Stamps" and worked his ass off. They've been playing tons of shows as well as recording song after song after song. Here's one of my favorites:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOrlHlPRac4


12) Pretty & Nice - "Pirahna"

Technically I have never met this band, though I do have mutual friends who have worked with them. I was introduced to their music through Ben Collins over at Modern Art (works with Miniature Tigers) in early 2009. After spending some time with their record ("Get Young"), it became one of my all-time favorites. It is still in heavy rotation on my iPod. Though the whole record is absolutely brilliant beyond words, my favorite is the opening track, "Pirahna". I have no idea how they are able to pull off this musicianship live, but man do they ever. This band deserves so much attention. I would do anything to go on tour with them with The Californian, just so I could watch them play every night with my mouth wide open in sheer disbelief. They're so good it sort of makes me angry! Damn it!

http://prettyandnice.bandcamp.com/track/piranha


13) End of Ever "Don't Go"

This band always gets asked if their name is "Endo Fever". Perhaps someday they might change their name as a result - but pay no mind to that. ;-) This happens to be my lovely girlfriend's band! She is a badass- very well-rounded, musically speaking, and gorgeous to match. She's an incredible jazz singer, and as she shows in this band, she's also got a hell of a voice for pop music. This is my favorite song of theirs - or at least my favorite one that they have recorded. It's in the vein of Maroon 5, One Republic and in parts, Jamiroquai.

They've been around for a little over a year. They have another song that I absolutely love as well, called "Slide", but unfortunately there is not recording of it just yet. It's such a good song though - hopefully they'll get a full length going in the near future!

Here's their song, "Don't Go".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeUziaT5Tqo


I am going to stop here. Thank you for taking the time to read through this and listen to some of the songs I enjoy. Hopefully you've found some new music to dig on! Be well.

-Darren

No comments:

Post a Comment