"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guest Mixer - David [What Laura Says]

Greetings!

My name is David, and Mitch, depending on the day and other assorted variables of equally low importance, and I am a player in the music band what laura says. I was elated to get an invitation for this mix extravaganza (thanks Ashley!) since I absolutely crave making mixes for others to enjoy. Another special shout-out must be given here to all of the creativity and personality that has been displayed by my fellow scenesters, as well as to life and all of its funny ways… I’ve once again made a deadline by the skin of my teeth!

So anyone who is close to me knows that I am head-over-heels in man-love with Madlib. For one who has yet to be (knowingly) exposed to this LA-based musician-producer, his style and production is unique and second-to-none. Having produced for most all of hip-hop’s finest; Madlib also creates his own spastic fast-paced, ADD, sampled soundscapes. He moves from one groove to the next and sometimes only hanging on a hook for thirty seconds, only to blast you with another heavy beat before you realize what is going on. What I love most about him, though, is that his musical creations have added up over the years to a veritable audio encyclopedia of the hippest music in world history… something I strive to achieve in my music as well. Pick up any of his records – from the Beat Konducta series to Madvillain to Yesterdays New Quintet to Quasimoto and the new Madlib’s Medicine Show series – and you will see exactly what I mean. Hip-Hop, Brazilian, Rock, Bollywood, Jazz, Funk, Motown, Chanson, Reggae – if it's good, it’s most likely in there.

At times though, the music that Madlib presents in his mash-ups make such an imprint on my mind that I have to seek out the full song and production info in order to satisfy my curious mind. But due to his elusive nature, tracklists NEVER accompany his work. For this, and since the invention of Shazam, I am a happy person.

As of earlier this year, I have been enthralled by Madlib Medicine Show #10: Black Soul. The album is a freaky mix of late-70’s to early-80’s R&B, Disco, and Fonk… yes, fonk. Perhaps it’s a cerebral thing, as I am very much a child of the 80’s, but this music grabbed MY soul and made it heightened; not to mention it took my ass and set it in motion! I mean… DAMN!! It reached a point where I absolutely had to find out who the original composers of this music was, and how much of this new creation was them verses what The Beat Konducta had added. I was able to decipher enough tunes to create this mix, but there is so much more to mine with this, and all of Madlib's other work. Either way - this shit has shaped me.

As guest mixer, I am proud to present some of the most movin’ music that ever was… a slice of Black Soul, if you will:

Junie Morrison: Super Spirit


Central Line: You Know you can Do it

Mtume: Love Lock

Freedom: Dance Sing Along

Archie Bell & The Drells: Dont let love get you down

James D Hall: I Wanna Get Into You

Roy Ayers: Everybody

Ingram: We Like To Do It


Minority Band: Tasty Tune

One Way: I Didn’t Mean To Break Your Heart

Dynasty: Here I Am

Logg: I Know You Will

Don Blackman: Never Miss A Thing



Mutiny: The Ballad Of Capt'n Hymbad


I must also mention that in obtaining these tracks I found it so much easier to find exactly what I was looking for on YouTube rather than hunting down recordings... Kudos goes out to this forum of human collective consciousness. Not only is the lovely music presented here, albeit rather low quality audio, but the images that accompany give a visceral aspect to one's consumption.

CHECK THOSE STYLES!!

much love ~ d

1 comment: