"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Guest Mixer - Alex Tighe [Ladylike]

Hi! I'm Alex from Ladylike. For those of you who don't already know, we're gearing up to record our first full-length album at the end of this month in Kansas. In order to afford this, we've been raising funds through Kickstarter.com. We only have about 5 days left to meet our goal so if you haven't already, check it out!

That being said, after a relaxing day off and a visit to Hoodlums, I decided it was time to make my playlist. I wish there was a theme for this list but there isn't. It's simply a mix of songs I've enjoyed lately or in the past. I'm sure these songs will inevitably influence the sound of our upcoming LP, so if you want to hear where 1/5 of Ladylike gets his inspiration from, check out these songs!

1. Placer y Castigo by Joan Sebastian

I was introduced to this song by a friend of mine. Although for the first few months I didn't know what the song was about, I fell in love with it. I figured a video on YouTube was better than just the track because this way you can see Joan's mustache.

2. Gotta Get Up by Harry Nilsson

There isn't much to say about Harry Nilsson that hasn't already been said so I won't.

3. Walk Me Down by Gospel Claws


Gospel Claws are an awesome band from Phoenix. This is the first track from their new album. I love the breakdown at the bridge. What a great way to start an LP.

4. Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon by Queen

This song felt appropriate not only because it's a killer song, but also because I was enjoying a lazy Sunday afternoon while making this playlist.

5. Telephone Line by Electric Light Orchestra

This is one of my favorite ELO songs. I'm not sure what this video is all about but it seemed ok. All the live videos didn't have good audio quality. I didn't want to ruin the song...

6. Moonage Daydream by David Bowie

I love the woodwinds in this song.

7. Betrayed By Bones by Hellogoodbye

The horn arrangements in this song blew me away. Oh...and there's a laser sound.

8. Lonely At The Top by Randy Newman

I cannot relate with the lyrical content of this song. It's still a great song. And Randy Newman is a genius. Don't be surprised if he makes his way into more than one of Ladylike's Guest Mixes.

9. Deirdre by The Beach Boys

This is just a fun Beach Boys song that I enjoy.

10. She Still Loves Him by Jellyfish

Somehow I didn't hear about Jellyfish until a couple of years ago. They have severely impacted the music I listen to and play. It was difficult to pick just one of their songs. If you don't own them already, find their albums Bellybutton and Spilt Milk.

11. Scenes from an Italian Restaurant by William Martin "Billy" Joel

This song is epic. I used to skip it when I first started to listening to Billy Joel because the beginning is ballad-y and I had a short attention span. What a mistake that was.

12. 14th Street by Rufus Wainwright

Rufus is another musician that I wasn't exposed to (other than a Leonard Cohen cover) up until a couple of years ago. He's amazing. If you like showtunes, find his album of Judy Garland songs.

13. One Day At A Time by John Lennon performed by Elton John

Elton John does some of the best covers. Here's a cool one that is a bonus track from the Captain Fantastic CD.

So that's my Guest Mix. I hope you enjoy it. And don't forget to check out Ladylike's website at www.listentoladylike.com!

Love Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment