"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Guest Mixer- Alex Edwards [Race You There]

Hi,

I am Alex Edwards, and I live in Tucson. I play guitars and keyboards and various other things for my band, Race You There. We are only a few weeks away from releasing our second EP, titled Catalyst.



There will be a show on April 2 in Tucson, followed a week later by one in Tempe. Much fun will be had.

So, I've only lived in two states for my life, Washington and Arizona. I've decided to select my mixtape choices based on artists from both of these states. I chose this because I feel that I can trace back certain aspects of what I like about each band, and make a connection to what I'm doing musically. Sort of like a family tree, but with bands instead of great grandmas.

Despite growing up in Washington, I was too young to really be a part of the grunge scene (whew!) WA has become a hot spot for music these days, and some huge bands have come out of the Pacific NW.

As for Arizona, despite a lack of bands really 'making it big' (aside from Jimmy Eat World, Calexico, and maybe the Gin Blossoms to an extent) what I do see is potential. There is a lot of it. I read an article a while back saying that Tucson is going to be the next 'suburb of Austin.' [Haters from Phx will disagree. :)]

Anyway, here goes.




1. Minus the Bear- Absinthe Party at the Fly Honey Warehouse (MTB should win an award for having the dumbest song titles) They are from Seattle, WA, where I spent part of my childhood. I really cannot think of a single way they could have made this song any better.

2. Barcelona- It's About Time
This song is admittedly a bit cheesy, but it reminds me of a friend who passed away and I really enjoy it. They are also from Seattle.

3. Modest Mouse- The View
I would pass by their hometown of Issaquah, WA every time I went to visit relatives as a kid.


4. Death Cab For Cutie- We Looked Like Giants
Say what you will about them selling out, but they used to write some really great songs, like this one. They are from Bellingham, WA which is just south of the Canadian border. I used to be on the swim team, and we would go to Bellingham every once in a while for swim meets when I was a kid.


5. Fleet Foxes- Mykonos
From Seattle WA. Really cool video too.


6. Pearl Jam- Hunger Strike (with Ben Bridwell from Band of Horses)
I felt like this was a perfect video to put on this list, because it really showcases an extremely well known band and an up and comer defining the word 'collaborate.' Also, they are both from Seattle.


7. Pretty Girls Make Graves- Something Bigger, Something Brighter
Now defunct, this Seattle based band really had a lot to do with me picking up the guitar again after years of not playing in my late teens. Their guitarist was insanely good, also when I saw them live it was my first time going to Club Congress, which is now one of my favorite bars/clubs.


And for the Arizona bands:

8. Dear and the Headlights- Daysleeper
Phoenix, AZ. I was so happy to see a band from Arizona really get out of the state, tour the country, play Coachella (Come on, that's huge.) Though, I keep hearing they've called it quits, which bums me the hell out.


9. Calexico-History of Lovers
Tucson, AZ (Holla!) This was such an awesome collaboration between Calexico and Iron+Wine. And it was recorded in the same studio we just recorded in, which is pretty rad.


10. Mostly Bears- Melancholyism
Tucson again. I've been seeing these guys live for years now, one of the first bands I really got attached to when I was previously living in Tucson. Also, my good friend Chelsea directed the music video for it, and I think it turned out awesome.


11. What Laura Says-Training
From Tempe, AZ. One of the most fun live shows you will ever see. Just go see em.


12. Jimmy Eat World- My Best Theory
Probably the most successful band to make it out of Arizona, which is a glimmer of hope in this auto-tuned world we live in. This isn't my favorite JEW song, but the video features Courtney Marie Andrews, who is also from Arizona and is definitely worth mentioning. I saw her open for the Constellation Branch a few months ago and I was absolutely stunned how good a solo acoustic songwriter she is.


-Alex

No comments:

Post a Comment