"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Guest Mixer- Jesse Lee (ACCIDENTAL SEABIRDS)

Live Acoustic Mixtape


   Music is great.  Live music is greater.  I especially dig acoustic performances because they reveal the original creative spirit of the song without the support of studio equipment and layers of overdubs.  I love recording and making use of modern technology, don't get me wrong, I just think that live takes are the true measure of an artist's capabilities and an honest display of their passion or a lack thereof.
   I chose these videos either because the acoustic version gives space for the vocals to shine, or because there is some offstage footage that lets us get to know the artist a little better.  Perhaps if I introduce myself first you will have a better idea of why I chose the rest of these songs for this playlist.

1)  Accidental Seabirds-  "pillows"
  This video was shot and edited by my friends, the Vamp Group.  The song is about substance abuse.  If someone close to you has problems, speak up.  Push them because they probably won't help themselves.


2)  Bowerbirds-  "In Our Talons"
  I think Vincent Moon of La Blogotheque pretty much pioneered the whole takeaway shows movement.  There are countless live videos out there now, but his remain some of the best.  Also note that Bowerbirds are strolling through NYC while singing this song about Man vs. Nature.  Pretty awesome.




3)  Neva Dinova-  "Squirrels"
  Jake Bellows writes great songs.  I wish he would try to get his music out to the world a bit more.  This song is off their record "You May Already Be Dreaming."


4)  Tim Eriksen-  "Every Sound Below"
  What a voice.  This guy focuses mainly on traditional folk songs but this one is an Original and I think it's pretty heavy.


5)  Skip James-  "Devil Got My Woman"
  Skip James is one of my favorite bluesmen.  Original Delta true blues.  Haunting voice and melody.


6)  The Mountain Goats-  "No Children"
  John Darnielle is the real deal.  If you want to witness or be part of a true connection between artist and audience, go see The Mountain Goats live.  For real.



  
7)  Elliott Smith-  "Waltz #2"
  Classic.  Elliott was a brilliant composer, the world lost something beautiful when he left.


8)  Snuffaluffagus-  "Worried Worm"
  I randomly saw this guy and his band play a show down the street from where i used to live in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.   Their record "Aminals" is really good; a unique approach to songwriting.


9)  The Flaming Lips-  "Enthusiasm For Life Defeats Internal Existential Fear"
  Okay, this isn't technically "acoustic" because Drozd plays keys and electric guitar, but I felt like this playlist needed a pick-me-up.  The Flaming Lips are one of the best live bands in the universe.  I couldn't find any straight acoustic Lips videos but at least this is stripped down compared to their normal sound.




10)  Delta Spirit-  "Strange Vine"
  This dude's voice is incredible.  And their songs are really good, too.



11)  Bela Fleck w/ Ruth Akello & Ateso Jazz Band
  From the documentary "Throw Down Your Heart" in which Bela travels around Africa playing with some great musicians as he attempts to trace the ancestry of the banjo.  Watch the whole film when you have the time, it's mindblowing.



12)  Andrew Bird-  "Why?" 
  Many classically trained musicians have trouble improvising, perhaps because they've spent too much time reading music from charts and not enough time creating their own.  This is certainly not the case with Andrew Bird.  This cat knows a lot about music and uses it to his advantage.  He seems to be more in line with the jazz tradition than with the classical when it comes to performance.  AND he writes really cool songs that many kinds of people can dig.


Thanks for letting me share all this with you.  I've been turned onto new artists to enjoy because of YOUR playlists.  I hope i've returned the favor.   Peace, Jesse Lee (accidental seabirds)
Oh yeah, feel free to hit me up on facebook.com/accidentalseabirds  or  accidentalseabirds@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment