"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."
Friday, March 11, 2011
Guest Mixer - Ryan Avery
Hi, i'm Ryan Avery. I am always doing a lot of things in downtown Phoenix, AZ. Currently I am busy with promoting a music/art/absurdity festival called The REAL Coachella. For more info on that go here
I am also working on releasing a cd/dvd combo for my old band/performance art group The Best Friends, writing new songs for the rock n roll band Fathers Day, writing new songs for an upcoming project called Heck featuring members of the Mcdaniels, working on the next performance for Seamen & Buttfunkle AND getting the finishing touches done to an amazing "Best of 2010" Compilation that should be done in the next 3-4 months (cross your fingers). This Mix CD is a rough draft of the final project but i hope you enjoy what is there so far.
01. FOOT OX "calis" (from the new album "ooo")
Teague Cullen is a wonderful human being, who makes wonderful music, with wonderful people.
02. FORMER FRIENDS OF YOUNG AMERICANS "you said you would" (from the self titled EP)
If i wasn't friends with the folks in this band i probably would have dismissed them. Normally this band is honestly not my cup of tea. Live they put me to sleep. But there EP is sooooo GOOD! and this song is the peppiest jam on it.
03. JAMES RABBIT "we could be torn to pieces" (from the album allies 2)
Zach Burba (from iji) told me "James Rabbit is everything you love about music. They are the perfect band for you" and he's right. You should really check these guys out. They are on tour right now and put on such a fun and terrific live show.
04. MEGABOG "sifter witch"
Heavy heavy wizard jamz. Creepy, Eerie and Beautiful.
05. ROAR "christmas kids" (from the album "i can't handle change")
Roar is the reason i wanted to put together this best of 2010 compilation. They restored my faith and excitement in new music again. I wanted to use the song "heart for brains" but this is way more of a jam.
06. iji "the good feeling" (from the album "cool dream")
This is the #1 jam from iji's latest album.
07. HELLO THE MIND CONTROL "clean" (from the album "total war")
I first saw HTMC in winter 2008 and i wasnt that into it. But last year they really surprised me with how good they are. I cant stop listening to the album "total war" its really amazing and beautiful.
08. DOGBRETH "yer smile"
Tristan Jemsek has been performing music by himself since 2004. His songs have always been sweet, honest, sincere and wonderful. But something that annoys me to no end is that he keeps changing the name he performs under. First it was Uggamugga, then it was Tristan Jemsek, then it was Gilmore Grrls, then it was Dogbreathe and now its Dogbreth. The reason why it bothers me is because musically it hasnt changed that much it is and always has been sweet, honest, sincere and wonderful music, whether he has a band backing him up or not. It seems almost self destructive in my mind to keep changing your name as an artist. But to each their own. Tristan is still one of my favorite song writers and biggest influences for my personal song writing.
09. FATIGO "tiger pit"
This song was the party jam for many of my friends in 2010. Music video was shot and directed by my good friend Eli Kluger.
10. FRENCH QUARTER "bold with fire part 2." (from the album "its not just kissing")
This is simply my favorite French Quarter song from his most recent album. Stephen Steinbrinks song writing makes me jealous because it makes my girlfriend giddy.
11. ADAM AND DARCIE "linoleum" (from the "reliving the 90's" series)
Reliving the 90's was a wonderful music/video project that Drew Danburry and other nice folks from Utah did for over a year. I feel that adam and darcies NOFX cover is hands down the best of them all, but the rest of the videos are definitely worth checking out.
12. GOLDEN ARROW HOLY FACE "bluebird"(from "more songs for porches")
I played a show with this guy last year and it was a wonderful surprise. I have been obsessed with his music ever since.
13. DARYL SCAIRIOT "french wife" (from the album "its a bastard to be lonely")
Daryl wrote this song forever ago. It was recorded by Jalipaz of audioconfusion. He has a new project called "where dead voices gather" they are really good too.
14. PLAGUE PARTY "i'll never die"
Jason Kron and Jason Polland are two of the most awkward & creative people in phoenix, az. It is only fitting that they now make music together and live together. Very cute and very jankey.
15. DAN POTTHAST "hot springs" (from the album "around the world")
Dan Potthast (of mu330 fame) recorded an album where he sings songs about each city he played on a giant world tour he did with streetlight manifesto. This song is about the singer from the blue meanies moving to hot springs arkansas to start a new/amazing music scene from the ground up. Its the most inspiring song on the whole album i think.
16. TREEPHORT "i learned to smoke at starbucks" (from the album "dolphin, wizard, lazer, vomit")
Treephort is one of my all time favorite live bands. The last time i saw them they sprayed douche cleanse on the crowd and one of the guys pooped in a bag and someone drank throwup. This song is the most funniest/most clever of them all.
17. ANDREW AND HIS FIESTY FELINES "cryin' in the car" (from the album "surfin taumpy")
This song is based on a true story. Almost every word of it taken from a letter that was written to andrew by his ex-girlfriend. It's all pretty sad and pathetic i feel but it makes for a great jam.
18. NOBUNNY "(do the) fuck yourself" (from the album "first blood")
Fun and rowdy track from Nobunny's latest album. If you havent seen him live, you really need to make a point to. He is almost always on tour so it shouldnt be too long before you can.
19. JJCNV "campy" (from the album "two hits and a miss)
The album "Two Hits and a Miss" is one of my favorites of 2010. Probably in my top 3. I feel that JJCNV are one of the few bands still experimenting with punk. I love it a lot.
20. THE OVALS "juvenile nation"
They are like everyones first band's first show. If you can't appreciate that, then fuck you.
21. FATHERS DAY "pink sock" (from the album "dad deserves the breast")
This is a Mcdaniels cover.
22. TREASURE MAMMAL "arpayaso" (from "the chronicles of sheriff joe arpaio 7")
Arguably the best song from the amazing 4-way split 7". If you don't have this yet, you need to order it from here, here, here or here
23. FUNDERSTORM "too hip to dance" (from the album "greatest hits: the debut tribute album")
Bike party terrorism from california. This song is both honest and true.
24. ARCHBISHOP JASON POLLAND "driven mad by beauty" (from the end")
My best friend emily and I were obsessed with this song for a while. It's a terrifically spooky recording. But an amazing experiment in Hip-Hop.
25. FOOT VILLAGE "lovers with iraqis"
26. CAPTAIN AHAB "i don't have a dick" (from the album "the end of irony")
My personal favorite song from the "end of irony" album, this song is so triumphant that if it went before any where on the compilation, all songs after it would be obliterated.
Posted by Ryan at 7:07 PM