"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, March 11, 2011

California Dreaming (on spring break)

I haven't taken a vacation in awhile. Sure, I've driven to Las Vegas, Los Angeles, and Tucson for shows here and there, but I always come home a day or two after the show. I'm overdue for some time off to take it easy, so I'm headed to Southern California in a couple days. The only definitive plan I have is going to Disneyland on Monday. I went there when I was 6 or 7 and have vague memories of it, so it's going to feel like my first time in the park. Everything else is up in the air, so I'm going to relax and see where I end up.

Here are the songs that remind me of Southern California for one reason or another...and yes, they are a little dated.

1. Blink 182- M+M's
"Buy some candy and cigarettes and we'll get in my car. We'll blast the stereo and we'll drive to Madagascar."

2. Wavves- King of the Beach
If I don't come home sunburnt and hung over, I fail at vacation mode.

3. The Ataris- San Dimas High School Football Rules
Disneyland + Sunset Boulevard bars = good call.

4. Tennis- Cape Dory
Tennis is one of my favorite discoveries of 2011.

5. Best Coast- Summer Mood
99% of Best Coast songs remind me of the beach.

6. Lucero- California
I forgot how awesome Nobody's Darlings is.

7. Everclear- Summerland
At least I didn't go with "Santa Monica."

8. Red Hot Chili Peppers- Parallel Universe
Of all the songs from Californication I pick this one. It has always made me think of the trip out there since I first heard it in 1999. Wow, that was a long time ago.

9. Kool and the Gang- Hollywood Swinging
Not gonna lie, Grand Theft Auto San Andreas is what turned me on to this song.

10. The Bronx- They Will Kill Us All (Without Mercy)
I bought this album from Amoeba and my cashier was in the band.

11. Sundowner- Midsummer Classic
This song always makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

12. The Hold Steady- Constructive Summer
It's just not a party without The Hold Steady.

BONUS- The most cliche song about California written in the past ten years.

13. Phantom Planet- California
I watched The O.C. and you probably did too, don't deny it. Plus, holy crap, it's Jason Schwartzman!

No comments:

Post a Comment