"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Guest Mixer-Matt [The Blue Pages]

Hello all,

My name is Matt and I am a member of The Blue Pages based out of Brooklyn(still scary)NY.  We moved here in September from Boston to try and expand our base.  So far it's been interesting (a few bumps), and very successful! We released a new record called 'Anthropology' and you can grab it here! 

Okay enough shameless self promotion, onto the purpose of this post.  I call this mix Gray Clouds.  Sometimes when it's gray outside, I'm in the mood for slower and typically sad music.  Sure not everyone wants to hear sad music, but to me, it has a way of being uplifting.  It kick-starts my creativity and makes me connect to the mood mother nature dictates.  More importantly, in a world of top 40 recycled BS, it helps me remember that there are still beautiful, strong, and intelligent songs out there.  Here are a few that you know, and maybe some you don't.

1) Feist- 'Lonely Lonely'-the arrangement is for lack of a better word, Perfect.


2) Chet Baker-'the Thrill is gone'-the phrase gets me every time. He's known for trumpet, but man can he sing!


3) Basement Jaxx-'Stay Close'- The organ is so sick! "Stay close to me, don't go nowhere"


4) Cat Power-'I Found a reason'-Her version of the Velvet Underground song...so simple a very beautiful.


5) Adele-'First Love'- First time I ever really noticed a song about the acceptance of love lost...def not the first time it was written about, but she does it in a very direct way...I dunno, i like it.


6) Bon Iver-'Woods'-First song I ever heard from him.  So damn beautiful. This is how autotune should be used btdubs


7) As Tall as Lions-'Maybe I'm just tired' (acoustic version)-Harmonies are so pretty.


8) Antony and The Johnsons-'Another World'-The repetition of these phrases and the emotion behind his singing are so powerful.

9) Dntel-'Breakfast in Bed' (featuring Conor Oberst) The lyrics are great.


10) The National-'Sorrow' speechless.


11) Bjork-'All is Full of Love' This Version is the better one.  Her belting is insane and always amazing.


12) Kings of Conveience-'Cayman Islands' So so so so so so so so so beautiful...



Obviously I could go on and on, but this works for now.  Kudos to David from [What Laura Says] for the youtube suggestion.  It was super easy, although some of these might be cheesy...but who cares?!  Thanks for reading/listening, and I'll leave you with this!


13) The Blue Pages-'Keep Me Dreaming'-This was filmed by Donald Rasmussen.  He's looking to do more, so hit him up if you'd like!!










 

No comments:

Post a Comment