"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Guest Mixer - Scott Hessel [Source Victoria]

When I was asked to contribute to this blog, my first thought was "...but I'm a drummer; this must be a horrible mistake!"


Regardless, here are my picks to click for this edition of Ashley Harris' "Mulitracking."

Miles Davis: "So What"


If I could fake my way through jazz, I would try my hand(s) at this classic by the Prince of Darkness. This video is proof that only Miles Davis could indifferently take a smoke break during a John Coltrane solo and get away with it.

The Police: "King of Pain"


Sure. 2/3 of the band were unabashed assholes - and proud of it - but the Police were also one of the (self-proclaimed) greatest bands of the 80's. I include this version of my favorite Police song, if only to try to spot myself in the crowd.

Radiohead: "15 Step"


I didn't get into Radiohead until they started giving their music away for free. Judging from their new album, they should have stuck with that business model. Anyway, they sounded a little off on this particular performance, but no one seemed to care.

Dave Grohl: "Band on the Run"


My list wouldn't be complete without including something by Dave. Kind of killing two birds here, 'cause Grohl gets to perform one of my favorite Wings songs for Sir Paul at the White House.

The Who: "I Can't Explain"


This makes me want to ride my Vespa down to the unemployment office.

Elbow: "One Day Like This"


Okay, I guess I should include something that proves I've listened to something fresh in the last few years. These guys apparently have a new record out; I swear I'll get around to listening to it in 2013.

The Blue Nile: "Headlights on the Parade"


Speaking of Elbow, I'm pretty sure they would admit to stealing many of their tricks from the Blue Nile. This record was released in 1984; it still sounds well ahead of its time.

The Knack: "Frustrated"


No, this isn't some sort of sick April Fool's joke. I love this band, and I'm not entirely ashamed to admit it.

XTC: "Mayor of Simpleton"


I just became the Mayor of Simpleton on Foursquare!

Elvis Costello: "Veronica"


Continuing the theme of the Wandering Musical Bassline, the artist formerly known as Declan MacManus weaves a bittersweet tale about an elderly woman suffering from memory loss. Co-written by Paul McCartney, this poppy little ditty understandbly gets played at less sporting events than "Pump it Up."

Meat Beat Manifesto: "Edge of No Control"


Heard of these British pioneers of electronic/trip-hop? Now, you have.

King Crimson: "Frame by Frame"


If you think Primus truly does suck (or 99% of math rock bands), you can direct your hate mail to Robert Fripp. King Crimson is still around, but I think this incarnation is the most accessible (and for me, influential) version.

********

This has been fun, but I now feel the need for some sort of musical psychologist.

If you want to check out my band, go to www.sourcevictoria.net. We have a new record coming out very soon. I swear we won't be doing any Knack covers.

Here's a sneak preview.















No comments:

Post a Comment