"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Sunday, October 10, 2010

What's In a Name? by Haley

Growing up, I always loved songs that featured names. Maybe it's because I was jealous because I could never find a song with my name (...that all changed, probably for the worst*), but something stuck.
I'm really interested in how names fit with a person's personality... For example: every Amy I've known has been a somewhat crazy, grating person. Are they pre-destined to be crazy because their parents outfitted them that specific name, or did they happen to turn out to be crazy on their own?

In either event, here's my "What's in a Name?" Playlist



1.) Caroline, London 1940 by Sleep Station
(link, because it's not a really well known song but is really fantastic!)
2.) Denis by Blondie
3.) Diane by Guster
4.) Dear Prudence by the Beatles
5.) Losing Lisa by Ben Folds
6.) Jerry Falwell Destroyed Earth by Ben Kweller
7.) Song to Woody by Bob Dylan

8.) Mrs. Potter's Lullaby by the Counting Crows
9.) Down on Haley by Nerf Herder*
10.) Chelsea Dagger by the Fratellis
11.) Sam's Town by the Killers
12.) My Friend Marcus by Manchester Orchestra

(Note: If I remembered the instructions, this would have been the cut-off point. Oops!)

13.) Valerie by Mark Ronson feat. Amy Winehouse
14.) Aretha's Gold by Wild Sweet Orange
15.) Clark Gable by the Postal Service
16.) A Man/Me/Then Jim by Rilo Kiley (live at Fingerprints)


*While this song is potentially about a terrible street, it's not the kind of legacy you necessarily want to carry. EG: "Down on Haley, Haley street where the drugs are easy and the sex is cheap." I'm including it anyways. Is there a song that has your name in the title? How do you feel about it? Discuss!)

3 comments:

  1. "My Friend Peter" by Alkaline Trio. Enough said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally found a song called "Ashley" by The Dodos, where most of the chorus is them just singing "Ashley . . . Ashley . . . Ashley." I think my name may be a little too 80's to be brought up in song quite yet, but our time will come!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Sleep Station, i love those guys! I almost put Runaway Elba-1 Pt II on my mix.

    ReplyDelete