"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

The Here and Now - A Mix For Mark Mueller

I decided to make mix of songs that have been heavy in my listening rotation, as well as have a deeper meaning to me at this moment. Here they are:

Calm Americans - Elliott

I follow politics very closely and I feel really frustrated with what is going on right now. Political discourse can be high-jacked so easily these days and the crazies seem to be winning. I feel kind of helpless, kind of like I did in 2004. Like a lot of people my age, I had a lot of (dare I say it) "hope" back in 2008. Now I'm starting to realize that the system is too broken and powerful for one man (or generation) to fix. The fact that my only two choices for governor are Meg Whitman or Jerry Brown really bums me out.


TAOS - Menomena

Just a song I've been listening to a lot lately.


Everyone Thinks I'm A Raincloud (When I'm Not Looking) - Guided By Voices

Like a lot of young creative types, I work a day job to support my creative pursuits. Every year that goes by is full of highs and lows where sometimes you feel closer to your dream than ever, and then just as quickly you can feel like you are miles from where you want to be. I really believe in paying your dues, but it's hard sometimes - especially when you live in LA and are surrounded by successful people living your dream.

Bob Pollard of Guided By Voices was an English teacher for a bunch of years before he got to do music full-time. Whenever I get down about my situation, I think about people like Bob Pollard, who were in the same position as I am and stuck it out.


Soul Love - David Bowie

Listening to David Bowie is just exciting. His stuff has been in heavy rotation on my iPod lately.


You Got It - Roy Orbison

Listening to Roy Orbison makes me nostalgic for my childhood. I had a great childhood and I am really grateful to my parents for that. Every year that goes by I drift farther away from home and the kid I used to be. I guess that's just life, but I'd love to have one more Friday night as a 12 year old eating Pizza Hut and watching TGIF with my family.


Free and Easy/ Take Two - The Brian Jonestown Massacre

The tambourine player from this band works at Amoeba Records and I see him all the time around LA. The Brian Jonestown Massacre have a reputation as being supreme fuck-ups, guy that could have had it all and blew it. I worry that might be me someday, but I guess you can't think about that. He seems happy these days.


One Day - The Verve

I love fruity Brit-pop bands from the 90's, and this song is off one of my favorite records, "Urban Hymns." To me, it's a very hopeful song.


Treatment Bound - The Replacements

I've made a conscious effort to stop drinking for the time being. It's been over a month and a half since my last drink and I feel pretty good. Not that I was an alcoholic or anything, but I'm just getting too old to get wasted all the time. I feel better than I have in a long time and I know that after 4 1/2 years at ASU my liver is grateful for the break.

This song is from early on in The Replacements career and I think it's funny that they are almost predicting their future and drunken fuck-ups. This band doesn't get enough credit for being as insightful as they were.


I"ll Feel A Whole Lot Better - The Byrds

Along the same lines as the last song, I just feel really good right now.


Rosalinda's Eyes - Billy Joel

I've been re-watching Freaks and Geeks, and I have to say I'm loving it even more the second time. It's a brilliant show. I love when I can watch something several times and notice new things that I love each time. This show is like that.

There's a great scene in the show where 'The Geeks" meet a girl and she turns out to be into really nerdy stuff like launching rockets in a grocery store parking lot. I never noticed until recently, but my favorite Billy Joel song plays during this scene and it's brilliant. The perfect song for this scene.


Fade Away (Live) - Noel Gallagher

The lyrics to this song are all about growing up and realizing that the dreams you had as a kid are dying. "We only get what we settle for..." is a great lyric.


No. Name #5 - Elliott Smith

Today is Oct. 19th, and Elliott Smith committed suicide Oct. 21st 2003. It's kind of crazy it's been 7 years - it seems like just yesterday. His music is really special and I listen to him a lot this time of year.

I drive through Silverlake quite a bit, and I make a point to drive past the "Figure 8 Wall" that fans have turned into a memorial. The last time I drove by I saw that it had been tagged and spray painted. Such a bummer. If I had the money I 'd pay for them to repaint it. Maybe someday.

A lyric in this song "everybody's gone at last..." is really haunting.


Live Long - Kings of Convenience

For some reason, I can only listen to Kings of Convenience between October and January. They are just a Fall /Winter type of band for me. Weird.




No comments:

Post a Comment