"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

An Old Desert Soul Mix by Smashley

Fun fact: I actually had to draw this like three times because my burner wasn't working. This isn't the exact one that was sent, but similar. I guess I got a little too excited - burn first, draw later. 
In coming up with this blog, this particular "theme" came to mind immediately. I know each month will be different, but I suppose in the interest of "introducing" myself to this project, I chose to make a personal mix. I moved to New York two and a half years ago after living in Arizona for 12 years, including those ever-so-formative college years. At the end of September, I spent five days back home, another dizzy marathon of seeing family, friends and all of my favorite places. 

A common thread to all of my trips home is that I always see at least one concert every time I'm there, and usually at least one local band. The Arizona music scene really shaped who I am today :  from shows at skate rinks to college radio to open mic nights to booking shows to obvious hearing loss.  Not only did I get to experience some great things, but I met some great people who make excellent music. It was hard to narrow down and I already broke my "12 songs" rule in order to accommodate 14 totally necessary tracks . . . but hey, this is a learning experience, right? I am extra excited that this mix goes to someone who isn't from Arizona and see if they feel what I still feel from the community in the desert. I once heard an interview with Roger Clyne (of The Refreshments and The Peacemakers) where he mentioned that there is a "lonely desert jangle" to AZ music. I carried that line as my mantra for a while, until I heard another quote from a member of The Fray (a la Twitter . . . figures) that said,

"I'm an old desert soul in an young city frame."

In all the changes I've made personally, professionally and aesthetically by moving to the east coast, there is always a part of me there. And, as might be expected, so much of the music I got to hear immediately sparks a wave of memories for me, and a constant reminder as to why I had to make this move. Good music for the sake of good music is always necessary, and Arizona has GREAT music. 

1) The Whisperlights - "Death!" [from: "Wake Up Dead"]
This is one of my favorite new bands, one that formed after I left but is comprised of some of my favorite musicians, all in one band!  Listening to this record is such a breath of fresh air. Tobie Milford also has a great solo album called "Alyosha" and both are in fierce competition to be on my Top 10 albums of the year.

Tobie Milford - Death /// ft. The Whisperlights from tytyonegoodeye on Vimeo.


2) Kinch "John Adams" [from: "Collars and Sleeves"]
These dudes are serious road warriors, so I've been fortunate to see them a couple times here in AZ. Hopefully, if time allows, I can catch one of their showcases for CMJ 2010! Speaking of seeing them live, the video below was from their tour with Local H  over the summer. 

Kinch "John Adams" @ Gramercy Theatre 5/18/10 from Seven Watt Media on Vimeo.


3) Mostly Bears "Airports (Live)" [from: "Team of Spirits" Live]
This band is actually from Tucson, about an hour and a half from where I lived in Phoenix, but they really opened the door for me as far as discovering what was going on down there. While the album version of this song is great, there is a whole new life breathed into this song by hearing it live. Some bands are just like that.  Brian Lopez (the singer) has also been putting out a series of solo EPs that I absolutely love. 



4) Sunset Electrics -  "My New Friends" [from "Sunset Electrics EP"]
This is actually a "word premiere" of sorts from a brand new project from Zachary James Dodds. He originally wrote this song under his name, but has since brought together a band to add the rock to it. It's actually not available yet, but he was nice enough to allow me to include it in this mix. A desert mix just wouldn't be the same without him, especially because just by listening to him, you can tell  he's a fellow "old desert soul". This is the original "stripped down" version. Get ready to rock when you hear the new mix.



5) What Laura Says - "Tape It Spoke" [from: "Bloomcheek"]
It's been so exciting following the Lauras the last few years and I'm so excited that this record truly captures everything that made AZ fall in love with them. I had the record for a while before I saw the mysterious looking clip below, but hearing it gave me chills. This song is absolutely beautiful. 



6) The Maine - "Inside of You" [from: "Black and White"]
Look, I'm going to go out and say it : I grew up on pop punk and I will always have a soft spot for it, so I know that THIS is great pop punk. So much of the Arizona scene was built on this kind of music and it's great to see the success that these guys have had making solid pop songs. However, while this is an excellent song, there is too much guyliner in this video.





7) Source Victoria - "Until We Crack" [from: "The Fast Escape"]
This was definitely one of those "where have you been all my life?" sort of discoveries, which was surprising because of all of the members ties to other bands I knew. There is something sophisticated about their sound, which I feel puts them strides ahead of a lot of bands coming out. They've been working on a record and hopefully we'll get to hear some new stuff soon.





8) Matthew Reveles - "The New One For Reals" [from: "We'll Meet Halfway"]
Matt Reveles has been a part of my life for so long in so many different capacities (mostly as a great friend), yet I'm constantly reminded of how talented is he is when I hear a song like this. This is actually the first song I ever ripped of MySpace and played on my show from him, so it only seemed fitting to pick this song.



9) Coats and Villa - "Stepping Stone" [from: "Make a Record"]
Wayne Coats and Nick Villa were part of a band that made one of my favorite records of 2007 (The Morning Kennedy Was Shot) and it broke my heart when that band broke up because there was so much potential. Hearing these new songs from their new project was a huge treat, because the music is even stronger. This song is such a jam.
(couldn't find a video of it, but this is still fun!)



10) Try Me Bicycle - "Big Small" [from: "Voicings"]
Every time I hear this song, I think of home, which is funny because I only heard about this band about a year after I moved. I'm kicking myself that I never knew or saw them live in Phoenix. Such an incredible record yet they've all but disappeared. Anyone know what happened to them? Couldn't find one video of them playing at all, they're quite a mystery, I suppose, which is appropriate because this record is nothing short of haunting.


11) Austin Gibbs - "Cut Me Off" [from: "EP"]
If you had to ask me which artist on this list I felt had the biggest potential to make it big first, it would be Austin. This kid has an undeniable sparkle about him and has managed to gain a huge following on mostly word of mouth. I saw him play in NYC a few months ago and every girl new every lyric to every song. He is a prime example of how fan communication pays off. Also - having a sweet mustache (disclaimer: mustache not featured in video. BUMMER.)





12) Yellow Minute "Chapter 2" [from: "you+you+you+you=me"]
Honestly, while I absolutely love this song and record as a whole, the main reason I included it is so I could repost it's official video on the blog. Try and not feel instantly happy watching it.

Chapter Two, Yellow Minute from Wasef E. on Vimeo.


13) Jimmy Eat World "Evidence" [from: "Invented"]
There is no way I could make this list without this band included. Not only is it my favorite band over all, but I think the big thing that I love about them is that they have always ALWAYS connected themselves with Arizona. You never really lose that desert jangle and in a time where they probably could have moved to LA or NY, they didn't. In trying to find whatever "New York" music means, and getting frustrated with the idea that it can ONLY happen here, it's nice to see it happen for a band who held down their roots.

Jimmy Eat World "Evidence" @ The Rialto Theatre from Seven Watt Media on Vimeo.




14) The Loveblisters - "Newborn Stars" [from: "Silver White Sunlight"]
This is another that falls into the category of music that instantly reminds me of home and easily goes down as one of my favorite songs of all time. These days, no one has any licence to judge what should and should not be a standard trajectory for a band, but personally, I feel like this band should have been huge and it's a shame they broke up before that potential was really realized. Thank goodness this music exists regardless.
(fun fact: this video was shot by my brother, during my radio show. Nice way to close things out here since this pretty much sums up why I just geeked out over 14 songs about AZ bands)


Happy listening, 
Smashley

No comments:

Post a Comment