"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Animas Mixtape

Back Ted N-Ted "Anima Mixtape"


an·i·ma  (n-m)
n.
1. The inner self of an individual; the soul.
2. In Jungian psychology:
a. The unconscious or true inner self of an individual, as opposed to the persona, or outer aspect of the personality.
b. The feminine inner personality, as present in the unconscious of the male. It is in contrast to the animus, which represents masculine characteristics.

TRACK LISTING

1. The Floating Circle / Sunlight, Heaven (2-tracks layered)
     by Daestro / Julianna Barwick
    
The Mix starts with Julianna Barwick's "Sunlight / Heaven" which is features layers of her beautiful looped vocals. There is something so airy and angelic about it. I feel quite blissful when I hear it. I layered edited snippets of Daestro's "The Floating Circle" because it has a similar feel and features more angelic female vocals. It also introduces a beat in 120-130bpm range which makes mixing songs much easier because the beat is much more visible in the waveform.

2. Angel Echoes
    by Four Tet

I just love the way this track builds. Four Tet has such a unique way of layering samples. His sound is so organic and jazzy while still being cool and melodic. I saw him once at The Clubhouse and it was so beautiful.

3. No. 6 Von Karmen Street
    by A Sunny Day In Glasgow

This is a group I know nothing about and downloaded from iTunes on a whim. I love the beautiful lightness of it though. Very textural. I've had it for about a year and the only other memory I have of listening to it is in headphones walking down the stairwell of my girlfriends old apartment in the West Village. It was a beautiful winter day. Also.. I love Glasgow, when I played there someone in the crowd yelled "YOUR FIT!"... I was very flattered..

4. Herzog
    by Clark

Clark blows my mind. His production is so yummy. So versatile and juicy. His melodies are nutty and his sounds are amazing. Tim Exile says he is a hilarious dude and played me some of his "Joke Tracks".. they are parodies of hip hop and pop.. pretty amazing stuff...

5. Scribble
    by Underworld

 I love Underworld. Their music has such a great feeling. Karl Hyde and Rick Smith make the music that sometimes I wish I made. Hyde's lyrical mechanisms inspire and provide wonderful imagery. I made some quick attempts to beat match this song with the previous track Herzog but its pretty loose.

6. Xtal
    by Aphex Twin

I stumbled across a video for this song last week. The imagery is pretty disturbing but the  juxtaposition created by pairing it with the music is pretty provocative. 


*warning - graphic content





7. I Can Change
    by LCD soundsystem

This is definitely my favorite track on "This is Happening". I love his vocal delivery and lyrics. He has a studio called Plantain in the West Village. It has the coolest collection of old synths and toys I've ever seen. I really hope to record there someday. It also has an elevator shaft you can use as reverb. Very Cool. 


8. Stuck In Auckland
    by The Penelope(s)


I don't know anything about this band but I love this song. 


9. Once In a Lifetime
    by The Talking Head


Still one of the best songs of all time. David Byrne is still one of my idols. I've seen him around New York several times and I just really look up to him. He came in to The Immigrant one night but I wasn't working.  The Tom Tom Club is also one of my favorite Rhythm Sections.


10. Diamond Jigsaw
      by Underworld


Is it against the rules to use 2 songs from the same artist in a mixtape? This song reminds me of Phoenix and how much I miss it. It also reminds me of my good friend Daggrr and how much I loved making music with him. 


11. Night by Night
      by Chromeo


I love their production. They were rehearsing next to us a few weeks ago and the sounded great. 
Great video as well:









Thanks for Listening!


Download it here:


( 60 mb )

https://files.me.com/breenerino/zwhufz

1 comment:

  1. Fun fact - A Sunny Day in Glasgow's brunette femal vocalist is a gal named Jen Goma, who sang in the Phoenix group, The Via Maris until she moved out east. Crazy talented gal.

    ReplyDelete