"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, October 15, 2010

Folly of Youth by Matt Klomp

I wanted my first mix to be an as-honest-as-musically-bearable look back on the music from the time of my life that really got me INTO music. The music that, for whatever reason, I really felt a connection with. That got me through the years when I was still trying to figure out: how to be cool, how girls work, how to unlock the San Francisco level in Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, how to make and know when to lose friends, who I was as a person, and basically everything else you're supposed to know about life (still struggling with these, so please send over any insights you may have). This is the music that got me through the cruelest, most uncertain, most devious, and most revealing years I've known: Junior High School.

This was a really fun mix for me to make, as it forced me to dig up tons of songs (and repressed memories) that I hadn't heard in almost ten years. At the same time, some of these songs are still among my favorites today (Alkaline Trio, Jimmy Eat World). One brief confession - I've conveniently left out the worst of the embarrassing crap I used to listen to, mostly to prevent the listener from uncontrollably smashing in her car stereo with the claw end of a hammer and partly to save face. So, to come clean... yes, at one time, I DID have songs by Good Charlotte (pre-"Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous" only!) in my Napster library and on several mixes I would play through my Discman. And definitely that first Papa Roach single. Possibly Three Doors Down. And some other stuff that I'll just have to blame on 9/11.

I feel like I'm in good company here. I hope some of you might listen to some of these songs and have a similar sort of nostalgiattack. This goes out to everyone who's ever stolen anything from Hot Topic. Happy listening and be sure to keep right down memory lane.

1.   Blink 182 - Carousel
2.   Jimmy Eat World - No Sensitivity
3.   Lagwagon - May 16

4.   Saves the Day - Third Engine
5.   Alkaline Trio - Hell Yes

6.   Further Seems Forever - Just Until Sundown
7.   The Hippos - Forget the World
8.   Ataris - San Dimas High School Football Rules

9.   AFI - This Secret Ninja


10. Bad Religion - I Want to Conquer the World
11. Face to Face - Disconnected


12. Get Up Kids - Ten Minutes

3 comments:

  1. I love that not only do you have Jimmy Eat World (and my favorite song of theirs, btw), but Kris Roe is talking about Static Prevails at the beginning of that video. So precious. But all I could think of while watching was how his receding hair line never stood a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. as much as I love the mix, nothing beats the artwork

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, I know.. I couldn't believe how perfect that Ataris video was when I saw it. Have you seen Kris Roe lately? Tough to look at... http://kindertrauma.com/images/art/craft3.jpg

    ReplyDelete