"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Chillwave, Bro. by Ade

Cash rules everything around me, duude.

Hey mannn! ... Coming up with this mix was pretty easy, I figured summer's coming to an end, so why not share some of the music that got me through it. Over the past year or so, I've been fully immersed in the whole "lo-fi" "chill-wave" surf movement. The whole point of this mix is to induce crazy shenanigans one last time before summer ends. Hell yea!

check out this little breakdown, dudes!

1) Wavves - Post Acid: I can't possibly think of a better track to start this mix with. The entire "King of the Beach" record pretty much sums up my summer. It's just raw, in-your-face surf punk. It's great music to drive to, complete with the top down (or windows down), blaring out from your speakers at the highest volume possible.

OMG gaiiisss, Snacks the cat is totally in this picture!

2) Tame Impala - Alter Ego: So after going crazy to Wavves, I figured it would be pretty great to just loose your mind in the Acid-infused hazy sound of Tame Impala. I rode my bike to "Innerspeaker" quite a bit this summer. It was so much fun riding my fixed super fast, with this record blaring through my ears, and just not giving a crap about anything around me. It's pure magic, try it out!

3) Surfer Blood - Swim: More surf-inspired jams, man! I saw this band play a few weeks ago, and it was amazing. Bubbles everywhere, my mind went numb with joy. It was everything I dreamt about.

4) Best Coast - Boyfriend: So floating into the mid-section of this mix, I figured I'd slow things down a little, but don't worry, the hazy, sun-washed sound is pretty much prevalent on all the tracks on this record. Best Coast definitely scored with her "Crazy For You" record, it's pretty much 60's lo-fi pop with lyrics about boys and pot, awesome!
Fun fact: She's dating Wavves. Hello, indie power couple.... Also, her cat "Snacks" is pretty badass! He's on twitter.

Dazed & Confused, bro.

5) Dom - Rude as Jude: I'll always have a soft spot for this band. I got to interview them a few weeks ago after they opened up for Ratatat at the Venue of Scottsdale. They were the nicest dudes ever! Dom (the main dude of the band/singer) was pretty rad to hang out with, I also got to interview him for my blog; Rundown Mill (check it out). I initially wanted to name this mix after one of their tracks, Bochicha (The song is named after Dom's cat), but I decided against it.

Photo credit: Lydo Le

6) Dum Dum Girls - Bhang, Bhang, I'm a Burnout: If you don't have "I Will Be" then I don't know what to tell ya man, get it! It's more lo-fi pop by an all-ladies band! They're pretty attractive gals also.



7) Girls - Morning Light: Oh man, thiiiiisss band! I've never fallen in love with a band as fast and as deep as i did with Girls, it's kinda crazy. I was lucky enough to see them at Coachella, and their set was absolutely amazing! "Album" has gotten so many superb reviews, it's just a stellar record of "lo-fi" Beach Boys/Elvis Costello inspired tunes. His voice sounds kinda like Elvis Costello's, It's crazy.



8) Miniature Tigers - Coyote Enchantment: I love these dudes! I got to kick it with Charlie & Alex, and they've become good buds. Seriously, "Fortress" is a great record, not only was it produced by Chris Chu (of the Morning Benders) who so happens to be a freaking genius, there's also a track (Gold Skull) produced by Alan Palomo (Neon Indian). Get it man, get it!

9) Tennis - Marathon: cutest husband and wive duo EVER! They are just to adorable, and their music is pretty amazing as well. The jams are super breezy and soft. Fun fact: They spent 8 months on a sail boat somewhere off of the east coast!

10) Twin Sister - All Around and Away We Go: I've watched this band grow for over a year now, and it's been so amazing to watch their well-deserved success. Not only do they create beautiful music, they're also the sweetest musicians I've ever met. They're super polite and just all around amazing people to be around. I got to chat with them last night when they opened for The Morning Benders @ The Clubhouse Music Venue. It was truly a joy to watch them gain a handful of new fans with their amazing performance. I'm very excited to see them continue to grow. Love love love!


visit their website! You can download their first EP for free on there as well!

11) Deerhunter - Revival: There's not much to say about this track. If you don't have "Halcyon Digest" by now, then you're missing out, man. In my opinion, it's the best record of 2010. That is all.

12) Toro Y Moi - Talamak: Oh man, this guy makes super funky R&B inspired lo-fi jams for dayyyyyssss. I got to see him this past summer when he opened for The Ruby Suns at The Rhythm Room, it was absolutely amazing, dance party all the way!



I guess that wraps it up mannn. I'll see ya next month... Mucho gracias to Ashley for putting this music-exchange thing together, it's amazing!
See you all on the chillwave, duuuuddeee. <3

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't lie, this is my absolute favorite mix thus far. It's a lot of what I listened to over the summer, and I fell completely in love with this sound. I just had "Boyfriend" given to me by a friend on a going-away-to-california mix called New Charm. All the songs on here are great and they just work so well together. I feel like I could listen to this mix beginning to end 3 times in a row and not even care. Love it. My only knock...

    no beach house? :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude, thankkkkks! I'm glad you like it.

    Ahh, I love beach house. I wanted to add them to this mix, but I decided to save it for the next one!

    I've got some sweet stuff for the next mix, I can't wait to post it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, i came seriously close to putting some of these bands on my list! Chillwave, Bro indeed.

    ReplyDelete