"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, October 8, 2010

Dreams Never End














My first mix tape, Dreams Never End, is titled after one of my favorite songs by one of my favorite bands. So it's only fitting that we begin mixing in my favorite month of all, October. To compile the songs, I simply thought of the music I like to listen to most this time of year.

October is... amazing. The temperature continues to drop to a reasonable level as leaves begin to fall, which can be smelt burning just as soon only a few blocks away. School is back in full swing and hoodies have come out to play once again, accented by caramel apple cider and an assortment of pumpkin flavored food and beverages. Crops are harvested, gourds are picked and placed accordingly, and the earlier night falls, the anticipation grows ever stronger for the twilight (and certainly not the books and/or films ...but maybe the soundtracks).

This time of year I think of how all of these things hold such a warm and sacred place in my heart. And I can't help but relate those feelings of euphoria to our school days when everything still felt magical. We went trick-or-treating, held sleepovers and watched "Are You Afraid of the Dark" or some other scary movie for the first time. We dressed up for school, dreamt of who we wanted to take to homecoming, and then acted completely awkward around them. And the absolute best were those halloween shows featuring AFI and Alkaline Trio! That was when some of the most exciting moments in our life took place. Alright, ok--I know I'm getting a little carried away. The point is, all of those emotions for me can be summed up in my favorite film. I first saw it in the thick of it all, a turning point in my life, and my love for it has been growing even more this time every year. It was the inspiration for this mix, and once you finally get to see the track list, it'll be painfully obvious.


So why am I being so elusive about the mix? It's my personal belief that while the best mixes may be those you make for yourself, they're not nearly as satisfying until you share them with someone else and experience their reaction. If its too personal, chances are the response won't be too good. But if its just right--if the music is approachable--they might just understand where you're coming from. And that's a relationship that can only be expressed through the music. So I usually like to wait to give them the playlist. I prefer the listener to go in with no preconceptions and just read the mix like a book with no cover. It makes it all the more gratifying when they enjoy it (and perhaps not as disappointing when they don't).

Thank you Smashley for inviting all of us to share these pieces or ourselves with one another.
And happy mixing!


1 comment: