"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, November 1, 2010

A Celebration of NOVEMBEARD by Smashley

Anyone who knows me knows I have a liking for dudes with beards. My Dad once asked me if the "beard thing" was a "phase", but considering my first boyfriend was the only 15 year old at my school with an Abe Lincoln style beard, it clearly started early on.


As I've grown older, I've measured a man's commitment level by his beard. Although, when I moved to the east coast, that theory was tested because I had to differentiate the fashionable beard and the functional beard. In Arizona, a man with a beard in August meant he was dedicated. In New York, a man with a beard probably just means he's cold. 


However, on either coast, one thing is for sure - November means that we are entering into the long standing tradition of "Novembeard", a month-long facial hair competition, or what I like to call, the beginning of Beard Season. 


In honor of this, it only seemed right to dedicate this month's mix to some excellently bearded dudes/bands. I realize beards are sort of commonplace in music, especially when it comes to touring and choosing food over buying razors, but I chose artists whose beards clearly define their image and their sound. While I'm not totally sure how to describe what "beard" sounds like quite yet, I think it sounds a little like this. . .


1) The Snake The Cross The Crown - "Behold the River"
From "Cotton Teeth"



2) Bowerbirds - "Northern Lights"
From "Upper Air"
[Disclaimer : the photo  is not of the Bowerbirds, but only of their gloriously bearded drummer, Yan. I saw this picture and thought it was hilarious, so it had to be used.] That being said, while Yan isn't a permanent member of the band, it seemed a shame to not recognize it's glory. His beard coupled with singer Phil's beard, along with the fact that they're from the beard capital of the world, North Carolina, sparked a Beard Contest on the band's blog last month. The beards were pretty clear, especially since one of the members is in fact a woman. While they're a quiet band with very controlled percussion, I picked the song that had the most drum involved, and in turn, the most Yan involved. 





3) The Avett Brothers - "Talk on Indolence"
From "Live Vol. 3"



Hands down the best song to see the Avetts do live, which is exactly why I chose this version of it from their new live album/DVD. Period.







4) Bon Iver  - "Blood Bank"
From "Blood Bank EP"
Justin Vernon's beard was not only functional for his four months spent in a cabin in Wisconsin writing, "For Emma, Forever Ago", but is the extension of the loneliness of those four months (at least in my head, or as the romanticized versions of his story have led me to believe.)(I realize that is pretty emo.)







5) Band of Horses - "Marry Song"
From "Cease to Begin"
True story: One day at work, I was watching a new Band of Horses video, and audibly, to no one in particular, blurted out, "Band of Horses? More like Band of Beards!" There was a brief pause, then I heard chuckles down the hallway. I swear I'm an adult. Other true story? The band was on their way to a gig in Oslo and stopped a wedding of a bride and groom who had gotten engaged at their last show in Oslo. I thought this was insanely precious, and the groom looks as geeked out as I would be.





6) Drew Danburry - "Accident"
From "This Could Mean Trouble, You Don't Speak for the Club"


Another true story? Drew's "tour beard" won 4th place in the worldwide beard and mustache competition in Alaska. While I'm proud to have an award winning friend, I'm more proud to just know Drew in general. He is one of the most sincere, hard working, well intentioned people I have ever met. He grabbed life by the reins, toured forever, met everyone he possible could, including his wife, who I can tell makes him even happier than he already was. This song is all about love and appreciating life which is exactly what Drew is about. I think everyone needs someone (or many someones) like that in their lives.


Not the same song, but this video captures Drew, and his beard, in most accurate glory.



7) J. Tillman - "Year in the Kingdom"
From - "Year in the Kingdom"
Not only is J. from another excellent bearded entity, Fleet Foxes (who, until now, I didn't even think of for this list.) but he has an an amazing career on his own with even quieter folk rock. I'm pretty anxious to see him play live, but this will have to do for now. This is definitely a Sunday morning song.







8) Dear and the Headlights - "Midwestern Dirt"
From - "Small Steps, Heavy Hooves"
I was really kicking myself for leaving them off of my "Old Desert Soul" mix, because so much of their music and themselves reminds me of home. (despite this song referencing the Midwest) There is something so special about this music, and specifically, the first riff of this song. I could listen to that one part over and over, but of course then the rest of this utterly haunting song. I've requested this song at every single show I've seen them play. I just don't think I'll ever find another band like Dear and the Headlights.





9) Obidiah Parker - "Hey Ya"
From "The Edge Acoustic, Live and Rare"
And speaking of Arizona/home, here's another prodigy child, although sort of this random one-hit-wonder. Matt Weddle, the lead singer of this band, performed a cover at an Open Mic Night, and the video circulated like wildfire on the internet. He was an instant sensation, and for all intents and purposes, NEVER lived it down. I had heard the song but had no idea what he looked like, until he performed at Tempe Music Festival a few years back. I distinctly remember looking over at the jumbotron and saying "WHOA, CHECK OUT THAT DUDE'S BEARD!" I'm actually pretty sure the photo above is from that very show. For how how few people will ever take this poor kid seriously, at least a good handful will get into him just because of his beard.





10) Bad Books - "Please Move"
From - "Bad Books"
While Andy's beard has been an additional member of Manchester Orchestra for a while, I decided to choose a new song from his "side project" with (also bearded) Kevin Devine and the rest of M.O., Bad Books. Why? Because it totally rules and you should stop reading and buy it. Honestly.





11) William Fitzsimmons - "It's Not True"
From - "Goodnight"
As I recall, I sort of found William accidentally, and to be honest, haven't sat with his records as long as I should. However, hearing the intro to this song makes me want to dig deeper again.








12) Young the Giant - "I Got"
From - "Young the Giant"
This band certainly wins for most beard diversity. You really do have excellent, varying degrees of facial hair, which will only make them stronger as a band. In all seriousness, they just put out a new record featuring this very song, and it really is special. Expect to hear a lot from these dudes (and their beards) very soon.





Happy Novembeard! 
-Smashley

5 comments:

  1. Awesome Mix, what did you think of the Bad Books album and how were they live? I'm super jealous that you got to see them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. F*** yeah The Snake!
    I once made a fall mix for my sister called, "Behold, The River!" using that title track of course.
    Perfect November mix :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good call on the Bad Books song - great album to boot ;)

    We have a 'No Shave November' competition at work where we grow beards for the month. Fun times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE Young the Giant. Thanks for putting in here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That William Fitzsimmons guy is a crackup live. But then again I'm a sucker for miserable, self-deprecating guys who can fingerpick a guitar. Love that Snake song, as well. God, what a GOOD band.

    ReplyDelete