"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, November 12, 2010

New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down, A Mix About Cities

How's that for a lengthy mix title? It's obviously James Murphy's fault, not mine. I got the first inspiration for this mix when I saw Interpol in Las Vegas last month, and was absolutely blown away by how incredible "NYC" sounded live. As I wandered around Fremont Street I thought about songs like Lucero- "Mine Tonight" and Brand New- "Soco Armaretto Lime" and felt like spouting some nonsense about how this city belonged to me, if only just for one night.

I disagree with Lucero, there is some romance on city streets, so why not make a mix about cities?

The idea behind this mix is travel- starting in Los Angeles and coming home via Chicago and wanting to get out of Cape Cod tonight because London is Calling.

1. The Decemberists- Los Angeles, I'm Yours

LA seemed like a good place to start. In spite of all the bad things people have to say about this city, I love the place.

2. Lucero- San Francisco

The only other San Francisco songs that came to mind were the "If you're going to San Fransisco/you're gonna meet some gentle people there" and the Alkaline Trio song by the same title. Lucero seemed like the best fit.

3. Surfer Blood- Anchorage

Anchorage is where the action is...duh.
I saw these guys a few months ago, and I must say, they were one of the best new bands I've seen. They had lots of energy, covered a Pavement song, and even had bubbles!

4. Wilco- Via Chicago

Is it weird that I really want to give Jeff Tweedy a hug? It's partially because it looks like he needs one, and it's mostly due to idol worship. I love Wilco, I really do, that's why I had to make sure we stopped by Chicago on our musical journey.

5. Interpol- NYC

...and now we start our depressing venture into New York City. I've never actually been there, these three songs just play off each other well in my opinion. New York seems like an amazing place, I'm not trashing it, I promise!
This song really made me appreciate Turn on the Bright Lights, but if you're an Interpol fan, I'm sure you already know that it's a fantastic album.

6. LCD Soundsystem- New York I Love You, But You're Bringing Me Down

Quite the departure from "Drunk Girls." This video has Kermit the Frog in it, I couldn't resist.

7.Vampire Weekend- Walcott

I didn't put this version of the song on the mix, I used the original. This is a Take Away Show, which is something done by La Blogotheque, if you aren't familiar with them, please check it out!

I saw Vampire Weekend back in April and had a great time. They closed with this song and there's a slew of shaky footage of it on YouTube. This is my transition from America to Europe.

8. The Clash- London Calling

When you think about it, it's pretty bold for a band to profess themselves as "the only band that matters," but, hey, it's The Clash...so it works. How many times do you see them show up between Vampire Weekend and Ladyhawke?

9. Ladyhawke- Paris is Burning

On our theoretical journey, we're happy to be in Paris...even though it may be on fire, but hey, kids are drinking wine on the sidewalk so it's okay.

10. Yeasayer- Rome

Another band I had the pleasure of seeing this year. They played about a week before SB 1070 was signed. Now they're boycotting Arizona.

11. Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros- Kisses Over Babylon

I didn't say my cities still had to be standing! Hey, check it out, an actual music video...the song itself starts about 3.5 minutes in.

12. Caribou- Odessa
I had no idea Caribou had a music video either. I decided to end this mix with a so-called Eastern European jam. Swim is one of my favorite 2010 releases. Whenever I hear this song I picture the crazy strobe light effects Caribou uses live.

1 comment:

  1. I'm Chicago all the way, but nothing on here beats Interpol's NYC. Carlos wasn't at that show, was he?
    "and when I pass the bottle back to Pete on the overpass tonight I bet we laugh..."

    ReplyDelete