"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Opinions Are Like Kittens - I'm Givin' 'em Away

I'm not meaning to start a "multitracking" battle by any means but I've seen a few Arizona band blogs. Some filled with multiple tracks by the same band. If you're state doesn't have at least 12 bands to represent you maybe you should find a new theme... or state. As much as I loved my 4 years in the desert my 19 years in Seattle trumps it - at least when it comes to music.

Instead of going on with my blog version of Step Up 3D I will just jump straight into the track list. I want to state that since I was only allowed 12 - and I even cheated and did 15 - a lot of bands got left out and I had to cut out anything pre my birth. Sorry Jimi.

1. Mother Love Bone - Chloe Dancer / Chrown of Thorns
There is no other way to start this blog. The "Seattle Scene", the "Grunge Scene", and music in general would not be the same if it wasn't for this band and the untimely death of Andy Wood. Instead of giving a link to a youtube video I suggest you follow the link below
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Love_Bone

2. Pretty Girls Make Grave - This Is Our Emergency
I had to leave out a few female Seattle bands from this blog just to make room but PGMG couldn't be skipped. ... Baby you don't have to be a picture in a magazine - Sometimes you're just too blind to see anything objectively. Just keep on doing your thing... right now.

3. Modest Mouse - Out of Gas
Even though Moon & Antartica has the indy love and Good News got the success - The Lonesome Crowded West will always be their best album in my mind. The lyrics in this song are probably my favorite in the vast catalog of Isaac Brock gems and the source of this blog posts title. Look for Isaac Brock reappear int he bonus tracks.

4. The Lonely Forest - Lessons In Miscommunication Part 1 (The Lonely Hero)
One of the best new bands out of Seattle. I don't think they play anywhere but around town except a spot at the Sasquatch Festival this year. They even put them on the main stage. Sasquatch, like me, loves local bands.

You absolutely have to hear this track. And the David Bazan reference is amazing.

5. The Blue Scholars - North By Northwest
Shit - Seattle even has great underground rap. Where you at AZ?

6. Vendetta Red - The Banshee Ballet
This band defined my youth. Some of the best times I ever had in my life were at the Graceland seeing them. They taught me how much fun live music could be and I will always regret missing their last show but I will always appreciate the dozen or so times I saw them.

7. The Divorce - Redcoats
The first track I ever heard from this band. I think it was stuck in my head for at least a year. Unlike Vendetta Red - I did get to see this bands last show at the Crocodile Cafe and it was everything I hoped it would be.

8. Sleater-Kinney - Entertain
Seattle chick band number 2. Thinking about this band reminds me of driving from Seattle to Portland. Seeing the Sleater-Kinney exit always made me happy. Too bad they gave up their instruments to have kids. Assholes.

9. David Bazan - Cold Beer and Cigarettes
I finalllllly got to see David Bazan for this first time this summer. Though Pedro the Lion was great nothing they ever did ever compares to this track. - "in my room with a record on - it comforts me to here Bazan. He translates feelings to song and I feel his pain." - See track 4.

10. The Murder City Devils - Rum to Whiskey
Just thinking about this band makes me want to drink heavily and break shit. They are playing again and they follow me on Twitter which actually made my day a few months back. Hopefully I will get to see them soon.

11. Minus The Bear - Absinthe Part At The Fly Honey Warehouse
I dug through every Minus the Bear track for this playlist to pick the right one. I didn't want to pick this track because it seemed too obvious. Sometimes obvious is good. There new album is god awful but no one can ever touch Highly Refined Pirates. This track makes me want to just sell all my possessions and travel forever.

12. Nirvana - Sliver
I just couldn't leave them out. This is just makes me laugh but its so good.

*** Bonus Tracks

">
13. Ugly Casanova - Barnacles
Isaac Brock already made the list once but this side project is amazing. If only I could have seen them back in the day. He's bring it back again but its not the same. To those of you out there who saw Isaac play these tracks in the dark before Modest Mouse shows. I envy you.

14. The Blood Brothers - Ambulance Vs. Ambulance
They made my first playlist too but I had to include them. They meant too much to me to leave them out. One of the many disbanded bands on this list that I had the privilege to see live many times before breaking up. At their last show in AZ at the Clubhouse I may have pushed a 14-16 year old girl to the ground in the pit. Maybe.


15. Pearl Jam - Spin The Black Circle
You didn't think I would leave them out did you?

*Look for volume 2 to this soon...

-Jordan Jacobson

1 comment:

  1. Love it, Jordan. I agree PGMG's just can't be left out.

    ReplyDelete