"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dark Days by Claudia




Music to listen to in the dark.

Like a lot of the mixers so far, I shift up my music a little when the days start to get shorter. There's still some uppers and downers tempo-wise, but in general, it's songs that are meant to keep me from getting Seasonal Affective Disorder (so SAD).

Here's a list of songs I can bear to listen to in the dark, if not this dark season, then when I'm in dark places.

A/B Machines - Sleigh Bells
I hated them live at Coachella (the lead singer seemed more concerned with whipping her hair back and forth than carrying the performance), but I love this album. It's great for speeding down the highway or a late night house cleaning marathon.

Tears Dry On Their Own - Amy Winehouse

Literally, "the sun goes down." But more than that, Winehouse's sass makes this one of my go-to songs for when I need a girl power pick-me-up. Fuck 'em all, my tears WILL dry on their own.

Goodnight Moon - Shivaree
Her voice is so spooky I almost can't listen to this in the dark. I love the lyrics though - as my writing teacher would have said, evocative imagery.

Girl With One Eye - Florence + The Machine

I might as well copy and paste everything from the previous song here.

The Dark End of the Street - The Commitments
OK, true confessions, guys: This is one of the few slow, romantic songs my twisted heart can tolerate. But it makes me cry a little every time. Love this movie, love this song -- perfect for singing to yourself in the dark when you're able to be honest with yourself.

In the Midnight Hour - Wilson Pickett
Wilson Pickett is an integral part of the plot of "The Commitments," not to mention Sting and John Lennon are fans. And there's a very basic truth there: everything looks a little different at midnight.

Queen of the World - Ida Maria
I'll just say it: I like a girl who gets a little drunk and dances too much when she's having a bad day, or week or what have you.

Basket Case - Green Day
I pull out Green Day whenever I need something to cheer me up. Click on the video -- I almost forgot how cute they were.

Bon Bon (We No Speak Americano Cover) - Pitbull
As an official cranky feminist, I should probably be offended by the video, the lyrics, etc. But holy shit, this song makes me want to dance. I listen to a lot of Latino radio these days, and this is my favorite.

Heads Will Roll - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
Another song that makes me think of late nights. Karen Oh has that spooky voice I love, but the song is still upbeat enough that I can chance to listen to when everything's a little darker and colder.

Walk on the Wild Side - Lou Reed
Effortlessly cool. I only listen to this song when it rains.

Santa Claus Is Coming to Town - Ella Fitzgerald

The second Santa came through the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, it's been the holiday season, in my opinion. Commence the Christmas music! And guess what my theme will be next month ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment