"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, November 29, 2010

November Disintegrates by Mike Billy

This mix tries to embody the feeling of November, that weird month where Fall disintegrates into Winter. The temperature is dropping. The beautiful leaves are falling off the trees. The first snow flurries have begun to drop from the sky. But there is something else that is also hidden in the depths of November. As Winter approaches the landscape becomes steadily more dreary. We turn the clocks back to bring about the night much sooner and it is difficult sometimes to remember the long days of Summer. Early November, when the bright leaves were still on the trees, was a better time when it was easier to remember Spring and Summer. But now it is impossible to avoid Winter looming in the not so distant future. And with it, comes loss.

This mix tracks the journey of the month of November. From hope to hopeless.

Jesus, Etc. by Wilco
Jesus, don't cry
You can rely on me honey
You can combine anything you want

I'll be around
You were right about the stars
Each one is a setting sun
One Headlight by The Wallflowers
This Place Is Old
It Feels Just Like A Beat Up Truck
I Turn The Engine, But The Engine Doesn't Turn
It Smells Of Cheap Wine & Cigarettes
This Place Is Always Such A Mess
Sometimes I Think I'd Like To Watch It Burn
Reservations by Wilco
I'm bound by these choices so hard to make
I'm bound by this feeling so easy to fake
None of this is real enough to take me from you

I've got reservations about so many things but not about you
Gotta Be Somebody's Blues by Jimmy Eat World
Will they breathe our air again?
Who will sing their blues for them?
My gears they grind
More each day
And I feel like
They're gonna grind away
Disintegration by Jimmy Eat World
What happened to the love we both knew?
We both chased.
Hanging on a cigarette you need me,
you'll burn me.
When I Left the Room by Dan Auerbach
She used to make me feel
Like I could do no wrong
I sang a happy tune
Her name was in my song

But now her eyes foretell
Only impending doom
And I just wanna know
What she said when I left the room
Same Old Thing by The Black Keys
You've got a callous
From being torn apart
Now you labor everyday
Love life drifts away
You take a man and a woman
That just can't get along,
Sick and tired of doing each other wrong.

Painful words are spoken,
Precious vows are broken
They just don't belong here anymore.

This is where the blues begins.
I've watched you change into a fly.
Wait around the way for you
Did all the things you asked me to
I thought it was the perfect day
Til she just opened up to say:

"It doesn't mean a thing to me
It doesn't mean a thing to me
And it's about time you see
Things ain't like they used to be"
Play Crack the Sky by Brand New
What they call love is a risk,
'Cause you will always get hit
Out of nowhere by some wave
And end up on your own.

2 comments:

  1. hope to hopeless. well put. I've been listening to a lot of Jimmy and Brand New lately. And Black Keys, oddly enough. Mad props on the Deftones track- White Pony is an amazing album

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! There are a couple of different genres here, but I think they mesh well.

    ReplyDelete