"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Friday, December 31, 2010

Younger Us

My favorite songs of the year. A theme I'm sure I've used in the past to compile mixtapes that went to girls I had crushes on but didn't know how to tell them. The last probably went to my first girlfriend ever. Rachel, you bitch. You didn't deserve all those great pop punk songs. I'm not bitter. Not at all.

My tastes have changed but if I found one of those old mixtapes I'm sure I would be nostalgic. 2010 was hands down the best year of my short life and these are the songs that will always remind me of this year. They will remind me of moving to Chicago, walking to my first real job after college, waiting in airports, and spending time with the best friends anyone could ever ask for. This year is a year that I will long to go back to for years to come. And I'm sure each of these songs will trigger those feelings.

The countdown:
Honorable Mention. The Hold Steady - The Weekenders
This track gets a mention for one lyric. "The theme of this party is the Industrial Age and you came dressed as a train wreck."


12. Freddie Gibbs- Oil Money
Gangsta Gibbs is a breath of fresh air. What rap should be. Not about bling and rims but about killing people. Dan Auerbach's chorus kind of steals the show on this track though.


11. Here We Go Magic - Casual
This song should be the theme song to all relationships. Casual. Not Heartbreaking.


10. Best Coast - Goodbye
This album is hard to listen to when its below 10 degrees in chicago like it has been for the past month. But in the summer this track made me so happy even though it reminds me of being depressed. "Nothing makes me happy. Not even tv or a bunch of weed."


9. Male Bonding - Weird Feelings
Sub Pop will sign great bands from here to eternity. Ride your bike while listening to this and you will feel like you are flying.


8. Jonsi - Animal Arithmetic
One of the best songs of the year from one of the best albums and by far the best live show I saw all year and maybe of my life.


7. Gayngs - Last Prom On Earth
This band should not be good. Whoever decided it would be a good idea to autotune Justin Vernon of Bon Ivers voice was a genius. Amazing, amazing song. There were no youtube videos of it but this video of Gaudy Side of Town from their "last prom on earth" show in MN will make you fall in love.


6. Crystal Castles Ft. Robert Smith - Not In Love
I DO NOT LIKE THE CRYSTAL CASTLES.... but I love the cure. This is the best song Robert Smith has been a part of in nearly 20 years. I could listen to it 30 times in a row and not be sick of it. Listen to it with headphones on and loud. Or at a rave.


5. A Lull - Weapons For War
2011 will be a great year for these guys and I wish them all the luck in the world. Watch this video. Buy their EP. Buy their full length this spring and please please please go see them live if you have a chance. You will not regret it.


4. Arcade Fire - Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)
I was at the Madison Garden show that this video is from and it really doesn't do it justice. The best song off one of the best off of the Suburbs and stands up against any track off of The Funeral or Neon Bible. Oh and they did fuck up the track about half way through and played it twice.


3. LCD Soundsystem - Dance Yrself Clean
You know that part in High Fidelity where Jack Black asks "Whats your top 5 A side track 1's?" This is on my list... up at the top. Ahead of Smells Like Teen Spirit? I dont know... maybe in time but holy shit - you have to admit every album should start like this.


2. Titus Andronicus - Theme From "Cheers"
"When I'm an old man, I can be the quiet type,
and I can go without a moment of fun for the rest of my life.
I can read a good book, and I can be in bed by ten,
and I can get up early, go to work and come home, and start it all over again.

But while we're young, boys, everybody raise your glasses high,
Singing, 'Here's to the good times, here's to the home team.
Kiss the good times goodbye, oh yeah,
Kiss the good times goodbye.'" ....

"So give me a Guinness, give me a Keystone Light,
Give me a kegger on a Friday night.
Give me anything but another year in exile.

I need a whiskey, I need a whiskey right now.
God knows how many times I've said this before,
But I really don't feel like doing this anymore."



1. Japandroids - Younger Us
Number 1 and 2 have a very similar theme and I think its a very similar theme to my year. I dont want to get old. I've lived in Seattle, Phoenix & now Chicago and all my friends are spread out all over the US. This makes miss all of them and want to be younger for some reason of another. Its not that I want to be younger... I just want those moments back when we were all younger. Even though I love my life now nothing will keep us from wanting that younger us. I probably listened to this song 300 times this year and every time it brought back different emotions and memories. I see these guys tonight to end my 2010 and it couldn't be any more fitting. Once again I thank every friend, band, family member, co-worker, etc that made 2010 so great.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear you love Chicago. Arcade Fire has THE BEST live show. If only Regina wasn't married.... Great post.
    and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete