"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas songs, post Christmas.

Just got home from visiting the family for Christmas, so I finally have a couple minutes to myself that don't involve my mom wanting to know what happened to some girl I hung out with in middle school (pregnant), my 16-year-old sister expounding on punk rock history (whatever, the Ramones were SO much better than the Sex Pistols), the dog begging to be petted (not now, Sheila) or my dad asking me to go to Mass with him (...).

I mean, I loved every minute of it, but family time is not for the weak of spirit.

The Christmas craze has subsided for the most part, though our tree is still standing and wilting needles all over the carpet. Here's a list of my favorite songs of the season (hint: does not include "Little Drummer Boy.")

"What Christmas Means to Me" - Hanson
Yeah, I went there. Best Christmas album of all time, and I say that with no shame.

"All I Want for Christmas Is You" - Love Actually Soundtrack
This girl kills Mariah's version. I tried to look up what else she's done since the movie came out, and it looks like it's just a bunch of voice work for Disney channel-type cartoons.

"Blue Christmas" - Elvis Presley

Classic. I have a thing for slightly sad Christmas songs, and this is one of the best.

"I Wish It Was Christmas Today" - Julian Casablancas
He played this at Coachella, and though it was 100+ degrees out, it was the highlight of the set.

O Christmas Tree - The Layaways
I usually don't have patience for pretty, harmonic songs, but this one draws me in.

"Don't Shoot Me Santa" - The Killers
So strange that I can't even try to explain it.

"Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)" - Death Cab for Cutie

OK, I think Hanson's version of this song is better, but for variety's sake I went with Death Cab. You can kind of feel what it's like being heartbroken somewhere with gray skies and cold weather, amirite?

"Wishing You a Merry Xmas" - Blue Skies for Black Hearts
This makes me laugh.

"All I Want for Christmas" - Yeah Yeah Yeahs

I want to be Karen O when I grow up.

"Baby, It's Cold Outside" - Glee Cast
I love this show for making (mostly) 3-dimensional gay characters. But even if the writers didn't, I'd still adore this sultry, smooth take on the classic (date rape?) song.

"Cool Yule" - Louis Armstrong and the Commanders

Just try not to dance.

"A Marshmallow World" - Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin
DRUNK.

1 comment:

  1. I loved that Casablancas played that at Coachella. Such a hilarious moment.

    ReplyDelete