"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, December 13, 2010

Melissa's Top 12 Albums of 2010

Like most music nerds, I spent a lot of time on this list and I'm still not quite sure if it's perfect. Back in November, I started compiling all the 2010 releases I have into a playlist and have been deleting songs to narrow my selection. That playlist still has 1,598 songs, which is 4.3 days/11.10 GB of music. Surprisingly, I was able to narrow that down to a top 41 list.

Here's my December Multitracking submission, I'll include my tentative top 20 albums at the end for those who are curious.
This mix is in descending order, song #12 is from my favorite album, which I have yet to see in anybody's top ten.

1. Wavves- Post Acid

It took me awhile to get into Wavves, and I'm not gonna lie, my Best Coast kick had a lot to do with it. If this is the next wave of pop punk, I'm a happy camper.

2. Surfer Blood- Swim

Yeah, yeah, more happy beach music. I can't wait to hear Surfer Blood's sophomore album.

3. The Morning Benders- Hand me Downs

I truthfully think this is one of the most underrated bands out there. This is from their second album, Big Echo, which is absolutely gorgeous music.

4. Yeasayer- O.N.E.

As a huge Yeasayer fan, I'm still not quite sure how I feel about Odd Blood. There's some great songs on it, but I still prefer All Hour Cymbals, because it has a completely different sound. Here's to musical variety and really interesting music videos.

5. Crystal Castles- Celestica

I wish I would have heard this album earlier in 2010 because it's quite excellent electronica. I've been listening to it nonstop since I picked it up a few weeks ago.

6. Caribou- Odessa

Swim was the first Caribou album I actually listened to and I love it. I know it's a bit different than Snaith's older material, but it's not a bad way to be introduced to the band.

7. Vampire Weekend- Giving up the Gun

I although I overkilled Contra a bit after it came out, I had to give it a high spot on this list because it is a solid album and does stand up against Vampire Weekend's self-titled debut.

8. Best Coast- When I'm With you

Crazy for you always puts me in a good mood, and come on, what's not to love about this pot smoking cat lady who's holding hands with Ronald McDonald and going to In-n-Out burger?

9. Arcade Fire- Rococo

When I first heard this album, I knew right away it was going to be in my top 5 albums of the year, if not the best album of the year. It's not that the other albums are necessarily better, they're just different, that's all. I love the Arcade Fire and probably always will. I'm glad they streamed their Madison Square Garden performance, it's the next best thing since they never seem to play in Phoenix!

10. Deerhunter- Don't Cry

Truth be told, all the albums in the top spots are more or less tied. I was really blown away by Halcyon Digest. Like Caribou, this was my first Deerhunter album. 2010 was a good year for musical introductions!

11. LCD Soundsystem- Dance Yrself Clean

This is a great growth album. When I first heard it, "Drunk Girls" and "Pow Pow" stood out. There's a reason I included the title track on this mix.

12. Sleigh Bells- Riot Rhythm

I feel like I'm bound to get some flack for this...but I've been absolutely hooked on Sleigh Bells since I first heard their demo. I love the mix of Alexis' mostly sweet and innocent vocals with Derek's aggressive guitar, all the while it's something you can dance to. As ridiculous as it sounds, "Crown on the Ground" is my ringtone.

My top 20 albums so far:
1. Sleigh Bells- Treats
2. LCD Soundsystem- This is Happening
3. Deerhunter- Halcyon Digest
4. Arcade Fire- The Suburbs
5. Best Coast- Crazy for you
6. Vampire Weekend- Contra
7. Caribou- Swim
8. Crystal Castles- s/t
9. Yeasayer- Odd Blood
10. The Morning Benders- Big Echo
11. Surfer Blood- Astrocoast
12. Wavves- King of the Beach
13. Miniature Tigers- Fortress
14. The Gaslight Anthem- American Slang
15. Girl Talk- All Day
16. Twin Shadow-Forget
17. Owen Pallett- Heartland
18. Of Montreal- False Priest
19. The National- High Violet
20. Tim Kasher- The Game of Monogamy

2 comments:

  1. Excellent list. I have to say, I was more impressed with Sleigh Bells demo tracks more than Treats, mainly because I did not like the M.I.A. influence on the record. I agree with you on the Morning Benders, very under-rated, and Deer Hunter had a stellar effort. Crystal Castles is great (I have an affinity toward Canadian music), so Owen Pallett and Arcade Fire also rank up there. The Wavves are a good band, they got panned a lot when Mickey Mouse (As one blog put it: It was great when they called themselves Animal Collective), but I still loved the song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should note that Dan from Caribou is Canadian, too. But I never really think of him as Canadian since he is really hooked into the London when I was living there. By the way, the guy is a flippin' genius, no joke, bloke went to Imperial College.

    ReplyDelete