"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Thursday, December 2, 2010

String Quartet, FTW!

String Quartet, FTW!

In my November Multitracking mix (yes I know I am late!), I wanted to explore bands that use bowed string instruments in a cool or unique way. As a violist, I guess I am drawn to groups that incorporate strings into their sound. I also feel that these groups may have the power to help save classical music.

Hope you enjoy!

1. Arcade Fire “Rococo” from The Suburbs

The beginning of “Rococo” starts with frilly, scale passages played in the violins. The violins continue to lay a support for the vocals, but also gives the group depth and a really clear sense of atmosphere. The Rococo period was basically a term given to the late Baroque period (late 18th century), classified by a high level of indulgence and wealth. Think Crazy Baroque church with ornate ceiling frescoes and a ton of gold, and then triple it.

2. fun. “Be Calm” from Aim and Ignite

This song uses strings in a truly melodic role, as though the vocals are part of the Piano quartet. The violin plays the harmonic vocal role, and it kind of rocks! I also love the brass and piano roles.

3. My Brightest Diamond “Dragonfly” Bring Me the Workhorse

I discovered My Brightest Diamond when she opened for Sufjan Stevens in his Portland Crystal Ballroom concert in 2006. She then opened for the Decemberists in Eugene. I was lucky to see both shows. Her use of strings acts more as a backdrop, not as present as the first couple songs, but they add atmosphere and intensity at key moments.

4. Basia Bulat “Snakes and Ladders” from Oh My Darling

I first heard Basia Bulat when she and her band opened for Devotchka in Eugene (2006). Her sound is really orchestral and thick, and the strings are essential. I love the driving rhythm in the viola (yes I am biased), but I think this song really utilizes the string quartet range.

5. Andrew Bird “Anonanimal” from Noble Beast

Andrew Bird is a true gift to experimental violin. He is classically trained, but shows that violin doesn’t have to rely on classical standards, that there is a future for new string music! The pizzicato (plucked strings) and string backdrop really sets the scene in this pieces. The guitar enters the picture late, but when the string quartet shines around 2:25, combined with the rhythmic beats, it is truly beautiful.

6. The Decemberists “We Both Go Down Together” from Picaresque

The Decemberists have a great gift at creating story in song. The strings in this song set the scene and are truly an essential part. The orchestral sound of this band includes the Hurdy Gurdy, a little known strung instrument played by turning a crank, that plays a drone, while simultaneously playing string keys that play a melody. I love the last little section with the violin ending the piece.

7. Vampire Weekend “M79” from Vampire Weekend

I LOVE THIS SONG. Maybe it was the song that made me love Vampire Weekend, I don’t know. Regardless, the startling classically driven sound in the string coupled with the simple melody in the verses is brilliant. Driving rhythm in the cello, and the fast scale passages in the strings are poppy and awesome.

8. Belle and Sebastian “I Can See Your Future” from Write About Love

This song really has the strings in the background, but I love the orchestral sound they produce with the range of instruments they employ, and the bells!!!!

9. fun. “The Gambler” from Aim and Ignite

I know I should have used another band, but this song’s sweet vocal/violin duo is too much for me.

10. Devotchka “Reprise” from How It Ends

This emotional interlude really shows that strings have what it takes to BE the vocal line. No words needed.

11. Jeff Tweedy “Simple Twist of Fate” from I’m Not There Soundtrack

The vioin/fiddle duet with the vocals, is raw and honest. Wide vibrato, confident sound, I love the violin line.

12. The Beatles “Eleanor Rigby” from Revolver

Where it all began. One can’t begin to speak about string quartets use in rock music without talking about Eleanor Rigby. The driving force in this song, the rhythm section! The band IS the string quartet. It is a perfect union, and it is my favorite Beatles song.

I hope you all enjoy! And I am super sorry for the delay!

No comments:

Post a Comment