"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Ten For '10 - The Best Albums of the Year by Smashley



Every year, I over think this list. In fact, I just spent the last half hour over thinking what my intro to this list would be.  But you know what? This list is just a list, and I'm just one person who likes music. I think in the rush of everyone posting their respective Top 10's and the downright daunting nature of seeing the same albums in different orders over and over,  we take a lot of it for granted. While I don't expect everyone to agree with my choices, I know what these albums meant to me at the time I heard them this year. These are the ones that I looked forward to listening to, and became downright addicted to, from top to bottom. As excited as I am to share some of these jams, I'm extra geeked out that I get to compile it as part of this project. If I wasn't over thinking or geeking out about music like this, then I'd be worried, so this is probably a good sign for at least another year. 


In the spirit of not over thinking, I won't over speak about these albums either. Explanations will be in 140 characters or less . . . that's all our attention spans are good for, right? Exactly. (Thanks, Twitter) I've included videos to let the music speak for itself, as it should. That said, almost all of the videos are of live performances, because I'm a live music junkie. 


Normally I'd just list it 1-12, but in the spirit of the "what's at the top of the list?!" suspense, I'll go backwards . . . 


 BONUS TRACKS:
Since the requirement for this project is 12 songs per mix, it gives me the opportunity to mention a couple releases that by all means SHOULD be mentioned. However, they were on my Best of 2009 list since I acquired them originally back then, so it wouldn't be fair to include them in this year's, even though their respective albums were re-released in 2010. You see what mean by over thinking?


12) Mumford and Sons - "Dust Bowl Dance" [From Sigh No More]

140 characters or less: 
Stealthily got the UK import in 2009, but 2010 was truly the year of Mumford. Even with all the drivers in play, it's simply just GOOD MUSIC


11) Freelance Whales - "Generator : Second Floor" [from Weathervanes]

140 characters or less: 
Same album self released in '09, but boy how they've grown. They've finally earned their touring chops & have an awesome record to back it up



AND THE OFFICIAL LIST: 

10) Local Natives - "Airplanes" [from Gorilla Manor]

140 characters or less: 
This entire record is a harmonized, dreamy California gem, but it's the band's flawless live show that has earned them a spot on this list.



9) Jimmy Eat World "Evidence" [from Invented]

140 characters or less: 
This is my favorite band and always will be. Tip: 4:30 - 5:40 mark of the song "Invented" is my favorite stretch of music written all year.
.





8) Broken Bells "The Mall and The Misery" [from Broken Bells]


140 characters or less: 
This challenged in me in that it is carried more musically & much less lyrically. The sonic atmosphere of this record opened me up to a lot.



7) ARMS - "Emily Sue Pt. 2" [From EP]

140 characters or less: 
This is a diamond in the rough illusion of "Brooklyn Music". This was a first listen, first love album & it's free here http://bit.ly/94wIEt
.



6) Matt Pond PA "Remains" [from The Dark Leaves]


140 characters or less: 
One of my all-time favorite songwriters finally makes the most cohesive, complete and beautiful group of songs in his career. This is an album.



5) The Whisperlights "Meowing" [from Wake Up Dead]


140 characters or less: 
More proof that there is something special about Phoenix. This is such a smart record and shows a tremendous amount of potential for them


(Video below is of another great song on the album, since they don't have a live video of "Meowing". Both are serious jams.)


4) Bad Books "Holding Down the Laughter" [from Bad Books]


140 characters or less: 
Kevin Devine + Manchester Orchestra = musical bromance. Do I need to say more? I had super high expectations for this & they were ALL met.



3)What Laura Says "Lines and Colours" [from Bloom Cheek]


140 characters or less: 
Thrilled this record truly represents all the best parts of some of my fav people. Tremendous musicians & an album that keeps surprising me.



2) Sara Bareilles "Let the Rain" [from Kaleidoscope Heart]

140 characters or less: 
My favorite record lyrically, at a time when I needed these words most. It's rare that you can pin point an artist's impeccable growth



1) Mimicking Birds "Burning Stars" [from Mimicking Birds]

140 characters or less: 
This truly came as a surprise, but I haven't been this excited to listen to an album (over & over) in a long time. A real breath of fresh air



Top songs and honorable mentions will be going up later this week on my other blog, Seven Watt Media. Until then. . . 


-Smashley

3 comments:

  1. CreamysCaptain - A bit ho-hum at the beginning but it got good quick. 3 of the top 7 I'm not familiar with nor do we play them on the station.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes to Mimicking Birds...I've been reading a ton of top lists and seeing them nowhere...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I literally just opened your mix and ripped it to my computer, and I'm excited to see this tracklist. I'm very pleased to see The Whisperlights and What Laura Says on this list, I suspect that may be part of why you picked me as your multitracking partner :) I was a little worried that our lists may be similar, but all I have to say is I hope you like electro. I have yet to figure out all the details, but the blog post will definitely be up by the 15th, even if your physical copy may be a little late. I hope you enjoy yours and maybe you'll hear some new things like I did! I didn't even know Matt Pond PA put out a new album this year. I'm not surprised to see Jimmy Eat World on this list either!

    ReplyDelete