"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Better Year by Smashley


It's a brand new year and the fourth month of this Multitracking experiment. I'm pretty excited with the way things have gone and excited to see what 2011 holds for our humble blog. 

I thought of this idea in December, but with all the hubbub of coming up with a Top 10 of 2010 list, I decided to hold this off until the start of 2011. But, my esteemed fellow blogger David McT beat me to it last month. However, I was so excited about it so I decided to do mine anyway, making sure not to cross over with his selections. Sorry DMcT, but full credit goes to you for getting there first. :)

Below are a handful of songs taken way too literally because of their titles, and a few honorable mentions (since I could only choose one.) Happy New Year, internet.

1) January Friend - Goo Goo Dolls
From Dizzy Up the Girl
Real talk: In spite of years of falling in love with Johnny Rzeznik's voice thanks to alternative radio and rom-coms, my two favorite songs on Dizzy Up the Girl are this and "Amigone". There's something equally familiar about Robby Tackac's voice, and frankly, he totally ups the rock level.
  



2) February - Austin Gibbs
From EP
When I  included Austin in my Old Desert Soul Mix in October, I said he was my top pick for the next big thing out of Arizona. I still stand by that . . . it's impossible to deny this song. 


Honorarable mentions: Foo Fighters "February Stars"





3) March Into the Sea - Modest Mouse
From We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
I took some liberties with the name here, because it is a verb, not a month. But at least it's a great song?





4) April Skies - The Jesus and Mary Chain
From Darklands
Have you ever read an interview with Jim or William Reid? Dudes are brilliant. Nuts, but brilliant.



Honorarable mentions: Try Me Bicycle "April Sky" | Court Yard Hounds "April Love"


http://aprilskies.amniisia.com/fun/classic_quotes.php


5) Month of May - Arcade Fire
From The Suburbs
Any song that requires a bull horn is good in my book.  Also, this song houses one of my favorite (although not so timeless) lyrics "2009, 2010, wanna make a record about how I felt then." At a mere 4:00 minutes (short in Arcade Fire world) this is as punk rock as this band can be. (which is a good thing)





6) In June - French Quarter
From French Quarter
While I tote Austin as Arizona's "most likely to succeed", Stephen Steinbrink, in his many incarnations, is hands down one of the most talented songwriters in that entire state, and highly under appreciated. 



Honorarable mentions: Horse Feathers "Belly of June" | Bright Eyes "June on the West Coast" | Fielding "June 5" | Coheed and Cambria "Junesong Provision"





7) July, July - The Decemberists
From Castaways and Cutouts
It's easy to get distracted by all the fancy language and thematic concept albums, but sometimes, The Decemberists just write some super fun songs. This is one of them. 


Honorarable mentions: What Laura Says "July 23"


Also, please note the dude-bro ROCKING in the crowd in the front.



8) August March - Grizzly Bear
From Sorry for the Delay
Consider this your "end of summer" nap time. This was long before Grizzly Bear became so polished. Snoozefest, but the only "August" song I had.





9) September Grass - James Taylor
From October Road 
(this album also has a song called "On the 4th of July". It's like he knew I'd use him for this mix)


My Dad loves James Taylor, so this song will always remind me of my Dad. 


Honorarable mentions: Green Day "Wake Me Up When September Ends"





10) October Nights - Yellowcard
From One for the Kids
I had several options for this month, but I had to go with this one. God, I loved this band in high school. I distinctly remember hearing this song on my brother's Napster (whoaaa early 00's!) and then accidentally seeing them perform while I was eating dinner at Warped Tour 2004. And hey, they're reuniting this Spring . . . so that's weird. 


Honorarable mentions: Broken Bells "October" | Rocky Votolato "October" | Of Montreal "October is Eternal"





11) November Was White, December Was Grey - Say Hi
From Oohs and Aahs
I had heard of this band quite a bit before, but only got into them after I listened to this song on a Barsuk sampler. But seriously, although long, "Say Hi to Your Mom" is an infinitely better band name, dudes. 





12) A Long December - Counting Crows 
From Recovering the Satellites 
How could I choose anything else? Also brilliant - the live recording featuring Ben Folds. Unreal. 


Honorable mentions: Taylor Swift "Back to December" | Matt Costa "A Cold December" | Something Corporate "Forget December" | Mew "Savoiurs of the Jazz Ballet (Fear Me December)" | Lydia "December"| A good portion of Christmas songs.





BONUS TRACK: 


13) The Via Maris "The Better Year" 
From The Bicentennial 
An amazing band I have the privilege of managing a few years back, and a song with some incredible lyrics to kick off the year. Cheers.


"The better dreams are by your side. The better road is not so high. The better year is by your side. The better year is by your side." 



The Better Year 6/21/08

The Via Maris | Myspace Video

No comments:

Post a Comment