"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, January 31, 2011

Interwebz Killed the Video Star

This playlist is just as much about the visual as it is about the audio. This is a handful of some of my favorite videos, each of which I find to be awesome for very different reasons. Not sure how fluid this can really be as a playlist, but January's been such a hectic month that I kind of just wanted another excuse to stare at my computer screen for a little while. Hope you enjoy!

1.


Everything about this video cracks me up. It's really a great example for why I love this band. I don't think Clarity would mean nearly as much as it does to me if these guys came off as assholes, and this video is proof of their not taking themselves too seriously. Also, they were BABIES when the video was shot! (way, way back in 1999)

2.

The Knife - Heartbeats from Johannes Nyholm on Vimeo
This one pretty much speaks for itself. Awesome.

3.

Another hilarious one.. song's not too bad, either.

4.

This is about as DIY as you can get. Can't imagine the Asian Man Records music video budget being too sizable (especially not back then), but they still somehow find a way to hold your interest. Inexplicable amounts of face washing. Also, watch for Dan's epic pick scrape down that sorry-ass acoustic guitar.

5.

Frank Black just gets me.

6.

This breaks my heart every time. The story of the video matches up with the song so beautifully that it's hard for me to hear the song anymore without thinking of the old fisherman and his wife.

7.

A video for all of the people who have ever gotten excited about the tempo of a song matching up with the timing of another car's turn signal or a flashing sign or a streetlight. Everything is connected through music and so on and so forth. Even aside from the artsy-fartsy message this is just really cool to watch.

8.

When I had the idea for this playlist I knew I had to include something by The Books. This band puts on one of the most engaging live shows you'll ever see - an inimatable blend of awe-inspiring musicianship and quirky visual media.

9.

One of the most bizarre, uncomfortable, and memorable music videos I can think of.

10.

The Forms are a band I've been continually rooting for over the last couple of years. Their self-titled album is only about 25 minutes long but solidly packed with addictive hooks that bounce around your head for days. I can't quite put my finger exactly on why I like this band so much, just as I can't quite tell you why I think this video is so cool.

11.

One of THE epic, overpriced music videos of the 90s.. yet this one still seems so worth every penny.


12. Arcade Fire - We Used To Wait
www.thewildernessdowntown.com
Can't actually post this one for reasons that you'll discover. Don't want to ruin it if you haven't seen this yet. I thought this was the coolest thing ever back when this album came out.

13.

tokyo sunday

Jimmy Eat World | Myspace Music Videos

This isn't really a music video, but I couldn't resist putting this one up as well. Love me some Jim Adkins.

1 comment: