"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

You Are My Voice, My Microphone (For Jenni and Tyler)

About a month ago, my friend Jenni asked me for song suggestions for her upcoming wedding in April. I sent her to the wedding mix that Caiti was working on for some inspiration, but finally got around to putting together a full list.  Not to mention, the timing worked out for this mix to fall in February with all the Valentine's hubub. I met Jenni through music and her finace is in a band, so there was extra pressure in coming up with some of the better love/wedding songs without dropping into the usual cliches. 

Another cliche? That I'm about the last person to speak on love. As a chronic workaholic, I've only been in love once, experienced painful unrequited love just once and been on the giving and receiving end of unrequited "like" more times than I probably remember. Being a die-hard music fan and occasional weekend rom-com watcher doesn't help either because my perception of love is totally skewed. The idea of love never feels totally absent because of how often it's in my face, but there are always "you're single" reminders like Valentine's Day and those moments I'd like to share with someone other than Twitter. 

But then there's Jenni and Tyler. They've been a unit as long as I've known her and seem to have a healthy, happy and realistic relationship. They both pursued and reached goals separately as well as together and now they're here, getting married.  And while I have't spent time with them together, as the title's metaphor suggests, they seem to amplify the best in each other.

I sometimes question all the songs and movies and every vicarious or hypothetical situation I encounter when it comes to love and my lack of a benchmark. But their's is real and that must mean that love is real. And that's all you need, right?


Below are a few excerpts from the master song list, which I put on my other blog for the sake of space (and since no one actually reads it.) Hopefully a lot of the songs I picked are actually love songs and don't have other meanings (I'm looking at you, Jimmy Eat World's "Hear You Me") but most I made sure I was confident in. I'm also not as up to speed on what is played at other weddings (since my friends are also perpetually single), so let me know if I need to throw in a Macarena or two. 
http://sevenwattmedia.blogspot.com/2011/02/songs-for-jenni-and-tyler.html



1) A.A. Bondy - "Lover's Waltz"
This was at the top of my iTunes as I scrolled through and it's one of the most appropriate on the whole list. It's always hard to tell what A.A. says in jest, but this seems like a pretty straight-forward love song.



2) The Decemberists - "Red Right Ankle"
This song sort of spirals off to some "heartbreak" tones (although not overtly, or at least not enough to take them off the list) but you can't denymetaphors like "And it whispered, 'Oh adhere to me! For we are bound by symmetry. Whatever differences our lives have been, we together make a limb."






3) Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros - "Home"
This song was in my head the entire time I was thinking about this mix. And obviously, I have to use the uber-precious Dad and daughter viral sensation. 






4) Boys Like Girls - "Hero/Heroine"
Jenni and I met as Sony Music College Reps (Dallas and Phoenix markets, respectively) so it was mandatory that this be thrown in for good measure. :) 




5) Coconut Records - "Microphone"
This is where the title of this mix comes from, and appropriate for two music people. 




6) De Capulet - "Safety Bar"
Remember the one boy I ever loved? This was our song. Whatever, emo kid. 






7) Hellogoodbye - "When We First Met"
I'm not sure what I love more - the song or the video. Appropriately, the video HAS a wedding in it! Synergy, people . . .




8) Interference - "Gold"
One of the more under appreciated tracks on the "Once" soundtrack, but one filled with so much joy.




9) Ladylike - "On to Me"
Another amazing song and video combo. Try and watch it without smiling.





10) Matt Nathanson - "Suspended"
I had to pick at least one Matt song considering he's on the master list, like, five times (and could have done more) "Sunshine, I'm beginning to like this."



11) Ryan Adams - "Gonna Make You Love Me"
This song will simultaneously make you want to fall in love and subscribe to AT&T service. 





12) Josh Radin and Schuyler Fisk - "Paperweight"
I don't know if it's the fact that these two actually dated, but there are some amazingly sincere moments in this song. 







"Your love will be safe with me. "
-Smashley


No comments:

Post a Comment