"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Monday, February 14, 2011

My Favorite Live Acts by Haley

I was going to make a Valentine's Day mix, but decided against it because 1.) far too many of my mixes have been related to love 2.) it's been done to death. SO, in lieu of that, I decided to highlight some of my favorite acts I've seen live.

1.) She'll Come Back to Me by Cake
John McCrea FLIPPED out on the audience when I saw him in Columbus back in 2004. It was kind of amusing, kind of douchey, but it's indisputable that they're excellent live.

2.) Slight Figure of Speech by the Avett Brothers
omg. I don't think their spirit was captured on the Grammys, but I don't think there's any party like an Avett Brothers show.

3.) Leather Jacket by Ben Folds Five
I've seen Ben Folds nine times, but I've sadly never seen BF5 live. Aside from DVD. Anyways, I can't help it that I was born too late, so I'm including this anyways... they're amazing.

4.) You're So Damn Hot by OK Go
I love these guys ever so much. Randomly busting out into songs from Les Mis onstage is fine with me!

5.) The Sound of Settling by Death Cab for Cutie
I never expected Ben Gibbard to be a good front-man live, but holy crap... I was wrong.

6.) First Day of My Life by Bright Eyes
Refer back to 5 - I thought Conor would be an awful front-man, but I left the show wildly impressed.

7.) Japanese Girlfriend by Earwig
I want Earwig to collectively be my Valentine. Love, love, love.

8.) I Wanna be the One by Fun.
Okay, so confession time... I didn't really listen to the Format before they broke up. I mean, sure, I knew "She Doesn't Get It," but I was really exposed to the Format as a result of seeing Fun. live. Nate Ruess owns. Le sigh.
I saw Fun. for the first time at a sold-out show at Skully's. It was hot, it stunk, but none of it mattered :) I saw them again with my friend Chissy (CMR love!) and I can't wait to see them again...

9.) The Girls Don't Care by Eef Barzelay (live from Daytrotter)
I saw Eef years ago when he opened up for Ben Folds, and I'm still blown away!

10.) History Sticks to Your Feet by Modest Mouse
Modest Mouse/Band of Horses/Love as Laughter was my first show I covered as a college rep for Sony, and I legit couldn't have asked for a better experience. The EP (No One's First and You're Last) was one of the best projects that I worked as a CMR, too, so I have nothing but love :)
Side note: "Optimism doesn't change the facts, just what you're gonna see," <-- what a great line!

11.) Lazy Eye by Silversun Pickups
I still remember the first time I heard this song. I've been in love with SP since that moment. One of my coolest, most unforgettable life experiences was a few years back when I got to watch SP from sidestage at the LC. I died. Am possibly still dying. I'll get back to you on that.

12.) An Atlas to Follow by Wild Sweet Orange
Words can't express my love for WSO! I also remember the first time I ever heard them - during a CMJ presentation during my CMR days. From that moment, I was hooked. I think I've seen them four or five times, and sadly, that'll be it because they disbanded. I think that my ultimate concert moment happened at a WSO show in Columbus; I was a CMR at the time, covering the WSO show in Columbus. Despite doing probably the best coverage I'd ever done, NO ONE showed up. Seriously - no one. It was the night of the Mirror Lake jump which certainly didn't help.

So, I talked to lead singer Preston feeling bad that my promotional efforts had failed, but he was so gracious, kind, and definitely the world's best hugger. They got onstage and killed it for me, my (then) fiance, and two people who were guest-listed. Preston dedicated "Aretha's Gold" to Josh, advising that he listen to the lyrics of the song and treat me like a baby doll. Best night ever :)

No comments:

Post a Comment