"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Long Fucking Songs For Caiti

I happen to know my January Mix Tape partner pretty well. So I had to think extra long and hard on this one because I wanted to make sure she got a lot of good music to listen to that she might not be all too familiar with. They have to be songs that she just wouldn't want... so I decided this mix would be dedicated to those songs that don't require you to push the back button or move the needle. They just keep going and going and going. The total time of this mix tape tops out at over 2 hours.

1 The Mars Volta - Goliath 7:15
The shortest song on this mix is by The Mars Volta which is crazy to think about. This is actually one of their shorter songs but its from a more obscure album I thought maybe Caiti hadn't listened to and its one of my favorites. I'm sure she has heard every 17 minute plus track off of Frances The Mute multiple times. Bonus: one of the most metal lines ever in this song "I've started to feel a miscarriage coming on..." You got to wait till the 6th minute to get to it though.

2. The Stooges - Fun House 7:47
A punk song makes the list! The horns off of this album are incredible especially in this song. Its like Iggy was listening to a lot of miles davis while writing this whole album.

3. My Morning Jacket - Touch Me I'm Going To Scream Pt 2 8:12
Part 2 is so much better than Part 1 and so much longer. "This feeling is wonderful. Don't you ever turn off" pretty much describes what I think of this song.

4. Dungen - Mon Amour 8:43
Not a single word is in english but you will still want to sing along to this and take copious amounts of drugs. The guitar at minute three sounds like something off of a Sonic Youth album with this insanely fast drum beat behind them. Listen to it with your headphones on.

5. Pearl jam - Release 8:59
This is the Ten reissue version. The longest studio track of Pearl Jam's career and its a classic.

6. !!! - Me & Guiliani Down By The Schoolyard (A True Story) 9:05
A 9 minute rave. Dance music makes the list and its not LCD Soundsystem (they didn't make the cut despite having like 10 songs over 8 minutes.)

7. Mastodon - The Czar 9:47
Metal made the cut. My favorite track off of Crack The Skye. Look for their Live at the Aragon dvd and album to come out for Record Store day this year. I just so happened to be at that show.



8. Television - Marquee Moon 10:47
A full minute longer than the track before it. Just an amazing long fucking song. Enjoy.

9. Modest Mouse - Truckers Atlas 10:58
I feel like half of this damn album is about road trips and this is probably the best song ever to listen to while you are on one. Makes me want to quit my job and just drive around the country.

10. Beastie Boys - B-Bou Bouillabaisse 12:34
Maybe the best hip hop song ever made. The bass at 6:40 will blow your fucking mind. Even with shitty speakers you will feel this song in your chest. There are insane samples in this song with the best being johnny cash "I shot a man in Brooklyn just to watch him die"

11. Jimmy Eat World -Goodbye Sky Harbor 16:14

I couldn't do a blog post on a blog created by ashley harris about long songs without including this.

12. Sonic Youth - Dressed In Dreams 19:36
One of my favorite songs of all time.There are noises in this song that you've never heard an instrument make before. I think there is a grand father clock in it around 8 minutes. The whole damn this is just a trip from start to finish. There was a single version of this song that was only 5:30 seconds but there is actually a 25 minute version of this song that is only on the vinyl single. If you can track it down I highly recommend it. The Yeah Yeah Yeahs also have a cover of it too but it can't touch the original.

No comments:

Post a Comment