"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Gotta Love That Country Meow-sic

In January me and a few of my best friends in the world spent 24 hours eating, drinking, walking through the snow, making fun of southern accents and listening to great live music in Nashville. Even though it ended with the possibly the worst night sleep in my life taking place in the Nashville International Airport it was a great time. We headed out to New Orleans the next day then finally ended up in Austin. All three are great music cities but the sounds of Nashville were by far the best and furthered my love of country music. Our trip was documented by fellow mixer Pat Burnell so check it out and if you ever have a chance to go to Nashville (aka Nash-Vegas) you should jump at the chance. See all the live music you can see and take my advice and get a hotel room. Following the tour video is my playlist inspired by Nashville.



1. George Jones - He Stopped Loving Her Today
Starting it off with a bummer. The saddest song ever written and my favorite country song of all time.


2. Dolly Parton - Last Night's Lovin'
This is a B-Side to Jolene and just ridiculously awesome. Just forget about how outrageous the lyrics are and just dance.


3. Johnny Cash - Boy Named Sue
Johnny Cash was more of a story writer than a song writer. I think this song proves that point.


4. Willie Nelson - Can I Sleep In Your Arms
I saw WIllie a few weeks ago at the Chicago theatre and he didn't disappoint. He may not be the best looking guy in the world but with songs like this I'm sure hes done pretty well with the ladies.


5. Kenny Rodgers - The Gambler
Just a classic. The Beastie Boys said it best when they said "Kenny Rogers Gambler is my gambling theme." If you like to gamble it should be yours too.


6. Loretta Lynn - Portland, OR
The only song from the 2000s that made the cut. This Jack White produced track is probably the best thing to come from the genre in a few decades. I used to listen to it on every drive from Seattle to Portland and no matter when I listen to it I think of really great times in my life. I think thats what country music and music in general should do.


7. Hank Williams - I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Hank goes down as the greatest country singer ever and one of the biggest tragedies in music history. This song of his is my favorite but everyone should own his "40 Greatest Hits" collection.


8. Wayne Cochran - Last Kiss
My Pearl Jam reference for this post. One of their biggest hits was a cover of a little known country song. As hard as it is for me to admit I probably like the original better. The back up singers make it. Check out the video of Eddie coming back from an encore break to sing it on top of the sound booth at the Gorge. Fast forward to about 2:30.




9. Garth Brooks - The Dance
Garth Brooks was the last great country star. Before Chris Gains and his ridiculous arena shows he wrote some amazing songs. There was probably a decade before him and after him with nothing good emerging from the genre. Hopefully, that will change soon. This youtube memorial to Dale Earnhardt is probably the highlight of my day.


10. Waylon Jennings - Good Hearted Woman
No matter where you went in Nashville you heard a Waylon song. You can hear a Waylon cover being sang but a female vocalist in our tour video and a crazy dude dancing his ass off to it. I want this song to be the theme song of my life.


11. Patsy Cline - I Fall To Pieces
Another bummer of a song. Holy crap. Try not to cry. I'm sorry its just too good not to include.


12. Waylon Jennings & Willie Nelson - Mamas Don't Let Your Babies Grow Up To Be Cowboys
Two of the best. This is the most country song I can possibly imagine. I almost feel bad for loving it and not being from the south.

No comments:

Post a Comment