"Multitrack recording (also known as multitracking or just tracking for short) is a method of sound recording that allows for the separate recording of multiple sound sources to create a cohesive whole."

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Guest Mixer: Ree Boado (Dearspeak)

Hello fellow music lovers,

I'm Ree Boado, a singer songwriter and front woman of indie rock band, Dearspeak, here in Phoenix, AZ. We're currently working on an EP entitled Oh, For Freedom!, due out in May, and will be touring quite a bit this summer. Check us out at dearspeak.com, as well as my solo project, reeboado.com if you like. You just might catch some of the following influences in our music. And maybe I'll end up in your city this summer... couch surfing with your neighbor, or eating at your favorite sandwich shop... or maybe just at a nearby venue where I hope you'll stop by to listen. :^]

I shall proceed to name some of my favorite artists and their oh-so emotive tunes that get to me every time. These are 12 songs charged with raw emotion, lyrical depth, great vocals, with an arresting nature about them... all ingredients for a killer song.


"Arrest Me!" playlist:


1. Mumford and Sons - "Awake My Soul" (Live)
I sure need a good awakening sometimes, and this song helps. This is one of my favorite bands and they are amazing live!


2. Carina Round - "Everything a Reason" (Live version)
Don't know the story behind this song, but it is intense and so is her performance of it... seriously dynamic artist.


3. Sufjan Stevens - "John Wayne Gacy Jr."
This is one crazy song about the secrets we all hide and the evils that can lurk beneath "our floorboards". Comparison to a mass murderer.. thought provoking.


4. Arcade Fire - "Wake Up" (Live)
I know we're long past the craze on this song, but it still makes me feel good every time I listen to it. Oh, all the lies that we believe... great lyrics.


5. Sia - "Breathe Me"
I still remember when I heard this years ago on the radio for the first time... I rarely get taken aback by anything on the radio, but this one did that.


6. Tal & Acacia - "Hope Again"
Someone gave me a cd with this song on it. It was written for the victims of human trafficking, an issue that is sadly much more real in the U.S. than we'd like to think. Inspiring.


7. Regina Spektor - "Laughing With"
Profound and quirky.. love it.


8. Damien Rice - "9 Crimes"
Beuuuutiful song.


9. Norah Jones - "Humble Me"
Thought I'd throw this in for variety... really touching with beautiful vocals.


10. Death Cab for Cutie - "What Sarah Said"
If you've ever watched someone die like I have, this song WILL get inside you.


11. Jeff Buckley - "Hallelujah"
Jeff's version of this song is the best in my opinion, and it just doesn't get old. What a mesmerizing voice that carried so much sadness. R.I.P.


12. Carina Round - "Back Seat"
I love this artist and I want everyone to know her! So true, things often aren't the way they should be in this world. Thanks for bringing some hope for us all Carina!



I hope you love these songs as much as I do!

~Ree

No comments:

Post a Comment